Browns Bait Re-opening !!!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Mar 1, 2006.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I was driving down Dennis tonight to go to Olathe Lake. I looked over my shoulder at Browns just thinking what a shame it was that the only place in Johnson County that sells minnows has been closed for almost 2 years, then I hit the brakes on the ole Crown Vic when I saw that the sign on the door said OPEN and the front door was open. I turned around and went back , knocked on the door and a fella said come in. He said they werent opened yet , but they would be the first week in March. It turns out he is one of the Browns sons. He is taking over the business. His mother is staying retired. I told him what a relief it was, and that I was really tired of driving all the way to KCKS to get my minnows , when Browns is on the way to Olathe Lake. He told me to tell everyone and let it be known. I saw pics of Geoff in there taped to the glass case. It was 3 or 4 other camera angle shots of Geoff's notorious flathead that he caught out of Waterworks. The guy even knew your name Geoff. I became really excited about the prospects of this seasons crappie fishing at Olathe Lake , now that Browns is back in business. I hope this helps everyone that fishes in Johnson County. If you do fish in JO CO , please stop in Browns and get some bait , so we can support the Brown family and ensure that this bait shop wont close again. Ill be getting my minnows exclusively from Browns. :grin-big:

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Cool, thats good news. There is one other place to get minnows in Johnson County, a convenience store at 83rd and Metcalf, but it's still nowhere close to Olathe Lake.

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Keith, Thats good news for sure! I'm not 100% sure but I think her son's name is Mike? I used to know him real well. I would always shoot the bull with him. Also her grandson, pretty sure his hame is Kevin? I would shoot the BS with him too. I still miss the converstations I used to have with Mr. Brown. One time I went in there with a friend of mine and Mr. Brown had him pick up a cane. Once he had it is his hand he told him it was made from a bull's pecker. LMAO He dropped that cane so fast. I still laugh thinking of that.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    great news for you folks around Olathe. Make sure you support the local bait shops as they will be good to you in ways you can never imagine.

5. Jayhawkguy

Jayhawkguy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hay, what is the address and the phone if you know it. I want to put there information on my website and post it o davescountry. Should help Browns out.

6. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    That's great news about Browns. I had been getting bait there since I was born.
    They had been there a long long time.
    I knew at one point the son was going to take it over but that was before they closed down. I thought it went south.

I hope he has enough ambition and plans to turn that place around.
    It has never been a great bait shop.
    There is a lot they can do to make it grow but they were not interested I guess.

7. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Oh this is GREAT! I was hoping so much that the place would open back up. I never had the privledge of going in myself, but my dad had a couple times, and said that it was a really nice place. I hope that I get the opportunity to get down there sometime this spring break or summer

Thanks for the tip Keith :D

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Your exactly right on the names Geoff. Kevin is the youngest and last time I saw Him he was Wrenchin in a transmission shop. Mike is the elder son. Jerry and Maxine Brown used to run the store. I grew up right down Dennis from there on Sheridan Street. When I was a boy I used to hang out at the bait shop when Mom wouldn't let Me walk to the lake and fish. Glad to hear its opening back up, i'll have to make a special trip over there to buy something from them.