Brownish gritty substance in fuel filter

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by e'villeman, Nov 29, 2007.

1. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    1982 evinrude 2stroke, the throttle linkage was sticking and the idle advance seemed tight so i wd-40'ed the linkage and it seems to work great now. I took the hose off where it connects to the motor Marked Filter and found a tannish/brownish gritty substance on the motor block under the rubber diaphram? is this carmelization of old fuel? felt like sand?? i guess the question that keeps nagging me is if its found here i bet its in the carbs also (fuel bowl, jets, etc.) since i'm having a hard time starting it and it seems to idle irratic sometimes and dies at idle ~ do i need to break down and yank the carbs and rebuild them?? If i do will this fix the above related problems?sorry no pics

Thanks in Advance

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    More then likely yes it will fix some issues. Be sure to soak those carbs over night to get them real clean. There is a real good illustration on doing such in the library. Do you by any Chance have a metal tank. If so get rid of it and get you a good plastic one. That sounds like rust to me.
    This is why I recommend putting a fuel water separator on it or at least add an in line fuel filter. They make one that is glass and you can see the fuel inside to make sure no air bubbles are in the lines and they make plastic ones also. Money well spent.

3. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Thanks BubbaKat, yes i have a 6gal plastic tank, will look into 2 carb kits in the morning, hope they arent expensive.

4. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Someone told me to try SEAFOAM first...eeer whats seafoam? and does it work?

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Did you say seafoam? Why man I carry that stuff around with me. :smile2:
    All joking aside though. seafoam is a very good product and I buy it by the case. You can get it at about any parts store and wally world is carrying it now. You can try that it may well be some fuel build up that has come loose from inside the lines. Mix it pretty heavy because if you found it that noticeable then it will take proably 2 treatments to clean it out. If you can find a 1 to 11/2 gal fuel tank to borrow you can add a can to it and your oil mix and run it through it and that will clean the fuel system and do a decarb at the same time. Be prepared to put in new plugs after you fininsh. I would also change all the fuel lines all the way from the carb to the tank before attempting this as I would say they are dirty also or coming apart inside.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Get me the model number and I'll get you the parts numbers and you can get those kits at any O'rielly's or Napa store.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe the most popular use of seafoam is as a preventative. Once your carbs have all been gunked up, the seafoam may help, but the only sure fire remedy is to rebuild those carbs. Fuel hose is cheap, so I'd replace all those fuel lines also. May as well throw in a fuel pump rebuild kit. Think for all of this your talking between $50.00 to $60.00, maybe slightly less. But, it is the best way I can think of to insure your gonna have a good spring/summer.