Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son sent me this for Christmas, I have a 06 and a 270, need a little help with what bullet weight I should use with this, I will be deer hunting with this and I see sooooo many bullet weights for sale---THANKS FOR THE HELP

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
90-105 grains. Go for premium bullets like a Nosler Partition, Speer Grand Slam, or the bonded, tipped bullets. I don't care for the "regular" ballistic tip bullets that use cup-n-core construction. It's a lightweight, small diameter bullet that will move fast. Since you don't have bullet mass or bullet diameter to work for you, you have to have good bullet construction to get performance.

Shot placement is critical as well. There are more deer wounded and lost every year with a .243 than just about any round. You can't take shots with it that would be easy money with a .308, .270, 30-06, etc.

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
I use 100 gr Speer softpoints in my handloads ,and have for years. No need to buy the higher priced bullets to get destructive performance. Bullet placement is not quite as critical as some would have you believe,But I would stay away from direct shoulder shots ,I have ruined many deer shoulders from using a 243. It is a killin machine under 300 yards on deer .heart/lung shots are key tho.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!! Ya its a box clip which I think is great so if I do buy the cheaper bullets without the ballistic tip they won't get banged up like if in a tube feed, as far as shoulder shots , I've given up on those, man last year I really messed up 3 deer shoulders really bad, just cut off and pitched them.
Really looking forward to shooting this rifle, going to go to BP to get the scope mounts, then get a good scope for it and site it in, sounds like a good time to me, thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks guys!! Ya its a box clip which I think is great so if I do buy the cheaper bullets without the ballistic tip they won't get banged up like if in a tube feed, as far as shoulder shots , I've given up on those, man last year I really messed up 3 deer shoulders really bad, just cut off and pitched them.
Really looking forward to shooting this rifle, going to go to BP to get the scope mounts, then get a good scope for it and site it in, sounds like a good time to me, thanks for the info guys
It is not the tip getting banged up that is the problem in a tube feed gun. It is the tip of the bullet impacting the primer of the one in front of it causing it to go off and blowing up the gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.