Brown sugar livers

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Mar 17, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    My mom works with a guy who can only eat fried catfish (doesnt like them baby bass we have in the lake )

his bait of choice is livers choped to the size of small marshmellows and have been mixed with brown sugar for 1 week. i just made some today and im letting it set on my roof

100 % guarentee cause he has a freezer of catfish he caught in 2 weekends

2. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    Can he eat bread or chicken???

Micah

3. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    but i think this recipe could have some improvment

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    it sounds odd but he only jigs for the bass, then lets em go

he had striper a few weks ago and thats the first time in about 6 months.... all he eats is flats

5. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    He's catching Flatheads on brown sugar livers. Thats crazy!!! Rarely heard of flats taking anything but live bait or freash cut fish. Very rare around here to catch a flathead on a liver of anykind!!!

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a place here in town that is a butcher shop! Mostly livestock and hogs. Therefore If I call ahead I can get huge chuncks of beef liver free of charge.They told me by law,they can't sell it so it's either give it away or throw it away. Now I'm wondering if I could get these huge chuncks of beef liver and cut it up,which will take some time cause I mean to tell ya,ya bring down 1000 pound steer and he's gonna have a big liver in him.Anyway, get some brown sugar and just load it down with the stuff,reckon they'd bite in the Missouri River? Does the Brown sugar toughen it up or just flavor it up? Now that were in Spring were commensing on the rainy season so how else would I get it to sour up so to speak?:confused2:

7. azflathead

azflathead New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Im with flathead2000, I have never heard of anyone catching flathead on chicken liver. They were probly channel cats.

8. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The local ponds in Texas are full of mud or yellow cats. From my understanding these are Flatheads. I take my nephew fishing and he catches them on worms, liver and shrimp. They are all in the 10" - 15" range. Do they change to live or fresh bait as they get bigger?

9. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    There are two guys that I have met that are quite successful using different baits. One gets the spleen from hogs for free from a small local locker plant. The other gets goat livers from a place that processes Spanish goats. These guys fish the same waters and are both trotliners and catch lots of Blues a few channels and very rarely a small yellow. The guys fishing the exact same area with live blue gills catch mostly yellows and not nearly as many of them.The thing that suprises me is few blues that are caught on live bait in an area that contains so many of them. My conclusion is that the Blues will eat anything but prefer it in smaller bites.

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I get a 50 pound box of beef livers every spring from the local packing house. The livers are kept cold and sliced up about 1" thick, then laid down and sliced into 1x1x1 chunks. They are then measured into 2 cup parcels and packed into a vacuum seal bag, sealed and frozen while still fresh. The livers will spoil quite rapidly when thawed, so don't go and spoil them before freezing.

Mind you, it still weighs 50 pounds cut up... and makes about 50 one pound (about 2 cups) bags. Zip-loc bags will work, but there will be freezer burn if there is any air left in the bag.

I usually thaw out a bag for every person fishing overnight. One pound of 1x1x1 chunks will serve up on a 50 hook trotline one time. Any excess is fed to the fish after the trip is over, never refrozen... too messy.

I never use brown sugar on my livers... they don't need it for flavor or texture. I do use brown sugar to toughen up fresh chicken livers, but prefer them spoiled in the hot sun for a week, mashed, then stirred up into punchbait. :crazy:

11. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I made some sweet chicken liver...cut the livers up in bite size pieces...put a ton of Brown sugar on them...and flip them over every couple hours.. I believe the Brown sugar cured them!! It also made a nice sweet gravy or syrup....the livers kinda look tastey like candy!
    A bit messy with the sticky syrup...but I caught 2 channel cats and one fat Texas freshwater Drum...

I guess they have a sweet tooth... Thanks for the receipes