Brotherhood of Catfishermen

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mac-b, May 22, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Every month or so, we have some very lively debates on the BOC as it relates to catfishing. On occasions, peoples feelings get hurt and they leave the BOC or just become lurkers.

First things first, we the membership have to recognize that the BOC is made up of all type of fisherperson. We have people that have used trotlines all their lives, have been juggers all thier lives, have used limb lines for various purposes, have used rod and reel fishing most of their lives,etc. We have people that eat their catch, sell their catch or give it to others that like to eat catfish and we have people that practice CPR, plus we have people that just eat catfish below a certain size and CPR the larger ones. Also, we have people that go to paylakes to fish for various reasons.

We have hunters, NASCAR fans, the SOC, the H I group, Sponsors, the Tech. section and so on.

Everybody or group deserves it's space on the BOC and rightly so and I believe this is what the founder intended.

After reflecting on what goes on here day after day, it appears that the group I belong to is the biggest offenders of other peoples rights to say and do their own thing. Out purpose is heart felt as it relates to CPR, but rather than condemning others that don't, we need to educate them why we think that it is a good practice. Not everyone can afford six, eight, ten, twelve, twenty rod and reels and it is less expensive for them to use jugs, trotlines or limb lines, plus some people just like to do it that way. Also, paylakes get some attention due to the PL taking fish from public waters and charging folks to fish. Well, all is not perfect with that situation, but it does offer a place for people to fish that can not get in a boat, fish from the bank or stay in the sun too long.

The bottom line is, we need to try and understand where the other fellow or gal is coming from when they start a thread or respond to a thread. No one group should be mighter than the other. Mac

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    well put Mac. i for one am one of those that can get upset fairly easy when getting "lectured" at. i understand the passion of the PCR crowd, but also the other side of the picture too. your advice hit it right on. i hope others read it and take to heart.
    gary

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great post Mac. I agree with you 100%. I am wondering why this got moved into HI, but I guess the staff know what they are doing. Things do get heated when the CPR fisher-people clash with the non.

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Brother KITH, I placed it on HI so members could really express themselves if they wanted too.

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    OH...:smile2: I guess your other icon trumps the HI icon. My opinion is that if I catch a fish, and want to eat it TOO BAD! Channel cats over 6 or 7 pounds are useless to me. Blues over 15 pounds are useless to me. Flatheads...now that's another story. They are all tasty. HOWEVER, I have come to the conclusion that I shouldn't keep them if they are over 30 pounds, or under 10. I don't target them often, therefore I don't catch very many.

Also, I don't think that there is a one-size fits all set of regulations that will promote trophy cat population in every fishery. I think there are many variables in the equation. I think the regs here are good in comparison to many other states.

Furthermore, I don't think that everyone who fishes is after trophies, so the regs should not be biased to a certain group...at least not statewide. They have to made to benefit the most people possible.

6. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    well said brother.

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    thanks,sometimes we need put back into reality

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mac requested this thread to be moved out of HI to this area. Please keep your comments general in nature and not directed at any one person or group of fishermen. Thanks everyone.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Mac, what has been going on with the various debates, is that the Moderators have been getting a bit lazy and needed something to wake them up. There are several threads going at this moment that they can't turn their head for a second with. Way I see it, if it keeps them busy, it will keep them out of trouble. Now we love our Mod's, so the last thing we would want would be for them idle hands to cause them problems. See? It's cause we like them so much that we keep them so busy. :wink:

Bryan, does this mean I have to stay awake at Catstock, afraid to close my eyes an all?

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    mac there is hope i am a prime example of it.i have run the gauntlet from perch jerker to trot lines and limb lines.ive been a commercial fisherman and now im a good fisherman.by this i meen ive learned to take better care of my fish.i have lots of pictures of fish over 50 lbs.but i dont post them on the site cause they are shown in a disrespectful way.they are hanging in trees or swinging from a pole or have ropes tied up in there gills and i know this would cause hard feelings from some of the members.i know cause ive become one of thoes mambers sence i joined the boc.i still eat fish just not the big ones and its because ive seen how some of the members feel bout these fish.ive come to respect them and their ideas.i read all the post and if i read one i dont agree with i just stay out of it.to all who love the sport of fishing i tip my hat.to all who believe in cpr of big fish i salute you.tight lines and good luck.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    mac. your a mighty fine example of a fine fella. if everyone was like you my blood pressure would drop alot.:big_smile:

what draws me in to most heated ones. is when a simple Q is asked and everyone feels they need to try and tell then there not doing things the ethical way. then i side with the other and put on the gloves.

i run jugs very seldom. and set baknlines maybe once a year. or twice. thats about it. other than that rod and reel. ide rather be there for the fight but i keep 50lbs or so a year to make sure i dont need to buy catfish. i laugh when i see $6.98 on 2 fillets at the store. and i dont give a hoot if some dont like it. thats what i do. its legal. and if i eat them its not unethical. recently slavery was compared to paylakes. thats digging deep there boys. "it took 100 years to figure out slavery was wrong" somethig like that.

and i DONT like being told what to do with MY catches. i would NOT get mad about education. but it will never stop me from eating them. i dont target huge fish often. and most i eat are 3-13 lb channels. you have just made one of the best posts ive read in a long time. i had to sends reps your way. you wernt trolling was ya,:big_smile: lmao. well said. thats what i strive for. just letting guys fish.

i applaud cpr. and i to have more respect for bigger fish now after being a 5 year member. but i wont degrade anyone for keeping a fish. weather its 1lb or 100. because its not my fish nor my buisness. all i can say is congtats on the catch. the last two 100+ lb blues both died in a tank and truck. but folks on here are screaming about 40lbers being eaten. i bet neither 100lber was ate. wasted. that i dont agree with. just wasting.

im a to each his own guy. and if a guy askes a Q about the alternative ways either answer it, ignore it or offer polite thoughts. not "try rod and reel its more sportsmans like" that exact qoute has been said to a new mamber with 2 posts. ill bet hes gone now. and that alone is enough to tick me off. i have no problem with cpr. but when they hyjack threads and run off guys thats wrong as killing 1000 fish.

i wont mention names but a member told me via p/m that he was ticked at the alternative method area and wont be as active till its removed. and i believe imo thats a crock too. if its removed then they can remove me too.

peace. thats my thoughts. i often stick up for things i dont do just because the others are out numbered. i dont like starting them. but will quickly jum in them.:big_smile:

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    just last night as cpr guy told me to have the deer in my profile pic (witch ive changed now) to teach me how to spell.:angry:
    and i hadnt even ever posted to or seen him before. that was the first comment to me from him i had seen.

thats just a rude statment. hes now on my ignore list. some make it personal.:angry: so make fun of guys because you dont agree. those are the ones the b.o.c. would be better off without. and made fun of a guys bass he was holding in his avatar.:angry: very sad. very very sad. there giving guys like mac a bad name.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I bet these folks are the same ones that cant use turn signal's either or yack on the phone while driving at the same time. They can also kiss my bass avatar. :big_smile:

14. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Mac,
    THANKS FOR THAT FINE POST. AS FAR AS MY OPINION YOU PRETTY WELL SUMMED IT ALL UP.
    THANKS,
    PEEDEE CAT

15. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    getting back to Mac's post. What it all boils down too is that we all enjoy God's creation of fishing! It's doesn't matter what size, how many, or how we fish for them. We are the best conservationist there is. We should consume what we want to keep, throw back what we don't. Be ethical people! Some of us practice CPR. Some don't. Myself I practice CPR on most of the fish I catch. I'm not going to slam someone who keeps every fish he or she catches. They paid their dues with the permits, equipment and transportation costs for the sport of fishing. Their reward is fish! You like eating fish, then more power to you!!

Thanks..
    Mark..

16. capt295

capt295 New Member

State:
    Newark ,Texas
    Hi Guys, im a new member here, but thought i would throw in my 2 cents. I think it is just like the site name brotherhood. we are all brothers in catfishing, and whether we catch them on rod and reels, trotlines, jugs, or limblines, or fish in lakes ,rivers , or pay lakes we all love catching the catfish. we can all learn something from each others techniques. if a trotliner tells me he is catching flatheads in 8 ft or water on the north end of the lake, i can go to that area with rod and reel and fish for flatheads and probably have success. At least it has worked for me. If a paylake is all that is close to a person, then fish it as long as you are having fun that is all that matters. Getting out and enjoying what God has blessed us with. We all want to learn more, catch more and get along. As far as catch and release for big cats, i think it is a good thing. I take my camera to take a pic of the fish on the boat and release it, I love to eat cats but eat the ones 15 lb and smaller. Release the big ones to spawn and fill the lake with more. A picture is worth a thousand words. And i will have the memories of the fight forever. No need to down another fishermans fishing style or eating habits, as long as it is legal. Hope to meet and fish with some of you guys. A person can find more information on this site than any book. We should respect anothers opinion even if it is different than ours. They have the right to their opinion. TIGHT LINES AND BENT RODS TO ALL.

17. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Mac great post I will read the posts that get heated just to see other peoples views.I don't believe in bashing someone for what they believe.

Jeremy put the deer back up you worked hard on em I for one don't mind seeing them.To me it's just showing pride in your work.

18. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I agree 100%. Show the pride in your work. Heck I enjoy it!!:wink::big_smile::big_smile:

19. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Jeremy i liked the deer you had in your avatar, you should put it back up if you liked it. i know i did.

20. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    gotta agree. if you changed your avator cause some guy said he didn't like it, put it back up. i don't like the one of the catfish "trophy" poles and trees. but that's life and i won't complain. i eat what i want, release the rest. depends and what i'm hungry for.
    i respect what the other people believe in, but insist they respect what i believe in too.
    gary