Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Super Moderator
25,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The article below was written by me on May 22, 2008, and is worth repeating.

"Every month or so, we have some very lively debates on the BOC as it relates to catfishing. On occasions, people's feelings get hurt and they leave the BOC or just become lurkers.

First things first, we the membership have to recognize that the BOC* is made up of all type of fisherperson. We have people that have used trotlines all their lives, have been juggers all their lives, have used limb lines for various purposes, have used rod and reel fishing most of their lives,etc. We have people that eat their catch, sell their catch or give it to others that like to eat catfish and we have people that practice CPR, plus we have people that just eat catfish below a certain size and CPR the larger ones. Also, we have people that go to pay lakes to fish for various reasons.

We have hunters, NASCAR fans, the SOC*, the H I group*, Sponsors, the Tech. section and so on.

Everybody or group deserves its space on the BOC* and rightly so and I believe this is what the founder intended.

After reflecting on what goes on here day after day, it appears that the group I belong to is the biggest offenders of other people's rights to say and do their own thing. Out purpose is heart felt as it relates to CPR, but rather than condemning others that don't, we need to educate them why we think that it is a good practice. Not everyone can afford six, eight, ten, twelve, twenty rod and reels and it is less expensive for them to use jugs, trotlines or limb lines, plus some people just like to do it that way. Also, pay lakes get some attention due to the PL taking fish from public waters and charging folks to fish. Well, all is not perfect with that situation, but it does offer a place for people to fish that cannot get in a boat, fish from the bank or stay in the sun too long.

The bottom line is, we need to try and understand where the other fellow or gal is coming from when they start a thread or respond to a thread. No one group should be mightier than the other. Mac''

*Now the USCA
**These no longer exist

· Registered
3,243 Posts
Great read Mac.
You left out guides and commercial fishermen. I don't really care for either, but it's a job they choose.
For the guides, one might be your local fireman doing a little extra for a better living, some guides are fulltime. They furnish the boat, tackle and bait for a few hours of fishing for people that want to learn a new lake or don't want to buy equipment needed. They may work long hours daily. May fish on one lake in the morning and another lake in the afternoon. There might be days they can't work, don't have a client, weather and have to find something else for income.
For the commercial fishermen, they mighty on the water every day. Can't afford to miss a day, take a vacation and lose good income. They sometimes work with a fish market to offer wild catch over farm raised to people that don't fish.
Be friendly with them while on the water. Help them in different ways, like launching their boat. They might give you a clue of where they caught all the fish. Try not to damage their equipment if you snag it. I'd rather leave a hook than cut a hole in their net.
Some commercial fishermen are taking a lose everyday with the Asian Carp. Their pay rate is low and they have to drive extra miles to collection centers. Being friendly with them they may tell you what waters aren't worth the time to cast a hook.

· Registered
Aaron from Indiana
451 Posts
Some commercial fishermen are taking a lose everyday with the Asian Carp. Their pay rate is low and they have to drive extra miles to collection centers. Being friendly with them they may tell you what waters aren't worth the time to cast a hook.
There's a team of commercial fishermen (2 boats) that launch near my home several times a week. I've never had the opportunity to talk to them because they are heading toward the ramp when I'm heading to work, but hopefully I'll have a chance one day. I just hope they're not keeping trophy cats for pay lakes. I can say that my neighbor was crappie fishing a feeder creek 3 weeks ago and met the commercial boats. There was a DNR biologist with them that day, so they are at least being monitored occasionally.

· Super Moderator
25,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a team of commercial fishermen (2 boats) that launch near my home several times a week. I've never had the opportunity to talk to them because they are heading toward the ramp when I'm heading to work, but hopefully I'll have a chance one day. I just hope they're not keeping trophy cats for pay lakes. I can say that my neighbor was crappie fishing a feeder creek 3 weeks ago and met the commercial boats. There was a DNR biologist with them that day, so they are at least being monitored occasionally.
For the past thirty years I have caught all size blue catfish for the NCWLC Biologist, sometimes one would be with me and sometimes not. I would put the sizes they wanted and put them on ice if I was fishing solo,, call the appointed Biologist when I got in and they would pick them up in the evening or the next day. Biologists we do not have the rights to enforce regs.

· Member Since 2002
Chattanooga TN
1,073 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts