Brother-In_laws motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by etexun, Oct 9, 2009.

1. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    My brother-in-law has a 25hp Yamaha outboard. I think it is a 2006 model.It is like brand new. I think he has run it maybe 25 minutes since he bought it. He has health issues and has not been able to use his boat. I have been helping him with things and he wants to hear it run. I tried to crank it but it would not start up. It is not electric start. I think it is not getting spark. I pulled a plug and it is getting gas. But no spark. It has a clip snapped on the motor for the kill switch. Any ideas?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Check for spark!

3. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I pulled a spark plug and watched it while I pulled the starter rope, No spark. It acts like the kill switch is still stopping the spark. But the little clip is still connected.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    have you tried it with the clip connected, sometimes you have to have the clip connected and to disconnect it will cause a break in the circuit making it a kill switch. kinda like the ones on a jet ski.

5. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    The clip is connected. It holds the switch out a little. When you pull the cord it lets the spring action of the switch go in. That is the first thing I checked. The clip is on.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    HUH got me stumped thats why i dont own a small engine repair store i guess

7. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    yea, it has me stumped too. I just think the little kill switch still has the fire shut off. But it shouldn't because the strap and clip are still snapped on.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If its been sitting for awhile then the plugs could be dead. I do hope you are useing fresh gas.

9. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Yes. I took fresh gas out there and mixed it just before trying to crank it.
    So you think I should change out the plugs? I think he has another set of new plugs somewhere. It has just been several years since he has seen them. When I pulled one of the plugs and looked at it, it was very clean and just a little wet with gas. But when I tried to see if it would spark with a pull of the start rope, nothing. I clipped and un-clipped the kill chain and then I replaced it. Still nothing.

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Find the kill switch wires inside and disconnect. They should just pull apart. Then try it.

11. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Thanks, I will try that tomorrow.

12. beagle777

beagle777 New Member

State:
    Il
    I had a kill switch clip go bad, it warped enought to let the center button go in enough to kill spark.wrapped a paper clip around it as a quick fix till I got a new clip.