Brother, I need your help with bait and hooks

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by chris45601, Sep 7, 2008.

1. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Brothers,

I've been catfishing a lot 4 years ago as most of you know I picked it up. Well I chased flatties pretty much my whole catfishing experience, now i moved closer to the ohio river and and now I have big blues in my sights.
    My first question is when using cut bait like skip jack, do you basiclly filet it or cut it some other way. My second question is when using a bait fish that is regular to that area such as blue gills is there any special way to cut it. Most of my small blues 6-8 pounds this year have came off blue gill heads. Third Question(I know this is getting old but I am curious:roll_eyes:) When using shad is there any special way to cut them.
    Now my Fouth and final question. I've pretty much fished with gami octopus hooks the whole time catfishing. I come from bass fishing and it is hard to break myself of setting the hook but i pretty much have that down, but when i get the fish to the shore it's not a good hook, not in the cornor of the mouth, its bearly got them inside the mouth and this is 5-6/0 hooks.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use Gama 8.0 octopus circles exclusively. I have at least a 90%+ hookup ratio on legitimate hits.
    Bill in SC

3. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    welp, see even when I do go to the 8 gami octo circles it seem like they can't get a good bite. Maybe its me

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try using the skipjack heads, for good success on blues.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Chris,

On the hook set it sounds like you have a quick triger or your bait is to big for the hook size your using. Them big blues like live gills also, plus shad,and skippes. good luck