Bro's first Flathead of 2007

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Flamekeeper, May 15, 2007.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    He was using a 4'' bluegill as shown in 7 1/2' water when this 29lb'r hit.:cool2:

Attached Files:

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    nice fish for ist one of year.congrats

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats on the fish.... nice....

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    nice fish! hey i like that rod... what kind is it?

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's exactly what I'm after! Glad ya caught him also! I know it was great fun bringin him in!!:lol: :lol:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on a nice catch.

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    jORGE ,Thanks for asking,It brought back alot of good memories Bro.:wink:

The red blank, with black and white thread shown represents U.L.Cardnals which was my mothers favorite B,Ball team.Which was made 15yrs ago, along with another just like it but in a Blue blank and Blue,white thread represents U.K. Wildcats,which was my fathers favorite team.

Both gone to be with the Lord now.

Both Rods are Custom cut to 8'2'' and painted Calstar's Hvy, 2pc's with fast tips.
    with custom cut Oak ring grips being double flex-coated along with all guides and wraps.

The Butt-wrap on each which shows the U.L. Cardnal mascot on the red one and the U.K. Wildcat on the Blue along with Winston Bennets signature on it also,I met him at a lake fishing about 5 yrs ago and had him sign it for me in marker then I polyurethane over it.

The next time Rick Pitino has a signing session, I'm going to try to go and have him sign both of them.:cool2::lol:

I got them at 125.00 each, good deal 15 yrs ago. and there still going strong.I had to replace the tip on the red one got broke on a straight down hookset,Man when that thing popped it sounded like 10 gauge double barrel LOL.
    God Bless, Kenny

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    nice fish yer brother caught , to bad he wasnt useing a bigger blue gill iv been useing 8" to 14" shad and thinking of useing 10" blue gill but dont think my 30# biggame will handle the cat i hang , bigger the bait bigger the catch

thanks for shaing the pics

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Oh yeah it should hold . We use 'em from 4-7'' and shoot we even catch 12-16 lb'rs on 7'' gillls as well .
    These flatheads are some mean fish , they do not care what size it is when they are hungry thats for sure.

I caught a 3lb flathead a few years back ona bluegill that was half as long as he was .LOL, I could hardly beleive it.that made me realize, it does'nt matter how big the bait is , they will hit it if they are hungry for sure:lol:

Went fishing again today and caught 3 channels and 2 flatheads that weighed 9 and 11 lbs caught them on 5-6'' gills. Got to take a break in fishing this week so I can get some contracts completed, signed and Paid, so I can take a couple more fishing trips before the flats quit running.Prespawn period will be over soon and I want to catch as many as I can:cool2:

11. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    nice fish, river or lake?

12. skipjackking

skipjackking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is a quote "the bigger the better, fish actually weigh the gains over the deficits in takeing prey.Put a small bait out and they may only have to move 10 feet to get it but it may not be enough to intrest them." Good luck all.

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

So what you are trying to say if a flathead is near a smaller ( Wounded , bait fish on the Hook )wiggling around he may not be interested?>LOL.

I agree that big baits catch big fish,

But as I said in a earlier post I caught a small flathead using a large bluegill, and I mean small:big_smile:,the baby flat was around 8-9'' long and the gill was 5-6'' hooked on a #7 on 40# test on a big Ole Penn with the clicker on , and this little fellow took off with that gill and made the clicker sing.I ran down the bank and grab the rod and set the hook,and I thought I just missed it.But was surprised when I pulled that little guy out.:eek:oooh: That tells me alot about the aggressiveness of the Flathead,and if you look at my Pic's you will see All the flats caught on 2-4'' bluegills. I rarely use any over 4''. But on occasion will go bigger at night when fishing on rock flats,thats where the BIG BOYS move to feed at night. IMO.

Man,said all that to say this, I've been fishing for Flatheads and I cannot count the Flatheads caught or the articles I've read for 35 yrs and I know if you throw a wounded bait fish in front of one , I can almost guarantee you that 9 out of 10 times that flathead will tear the guts out of the fish no-matter how small or big the bait is. Its just their nature to Kill and Eat, Right Guys.

Come on now who fish's for Flatheads that can back me up on this?.

14. skipjackking

skipjackking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i didnt say that someone else said it "quote" how do i know how picky the fish r i just put the bait in the water and let them do the work im not sayin anybodys wrong or right here im just telling what has been said.Im all with u on the wounded bait like i said its just what i read.

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Good Luck on the water this year Bro,I hope to see some Pic's of some fine fish.Kenny:wink:

16. mikepgh

mikepgh New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I think bluegills are excellent bait.