"Broom Stick" Rods?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Ky_Katter91, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I posted this in my other thread but I thought I would open a new one to get more hits on it..
    I decided against the Muskie Rods as I don't think theyre up to the style of fishing I do. I fish around a lot of snags where I fish on the Ohio, and the current is usually pretty swift as well.
    I'm trying to find a real extra heavy broom stick rod from 6'6" length to 9'.
    I need something to pull a big fella off the bottom in heavy current and drag him away from snags if he runs to one.
    What are some good rods for this purpose?
    My 9' King Cat Supreme is pretty stout but I don't think its really stiff enough or heavy enough for this. Same said for the 7' Berkley Big Game and the old one piece dynaflex I have.
    Any suggestions??
    Thanks Guys.

2. fnddragn

fnddragn New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Have you looked into the so called "boat rods". i figure that if it can bring some of those ocean going monsters then it might just work for you. You might not be able to cast with it but you can always drift a bait into position. Just a thought.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Go shorter,, 5'6"-6'6",, hmmm, about the length of a "Broomstick". Heavy rating and,, match your line, and reel to the stick..Long rear grip, and long foregrip,, will provide ample "Torque" to your lifting scenario..:big_smile:

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

For moving them fast and hard,I like Bigwater Uglystiks in the 7 ft size.They,re listed as boat rods.They,re heavy but they still got enough tip action to see when you got a hit.Mine cast from 4-10ozs fine.Another plus is they,re almost indestructable.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ugly stick bigwaters will get the job done!!

6. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    quantum big cat rod 7'6 hvy act what i use and love dose the job well:wink:

7. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Thanks for all of the replies
    -I checked into the Shakespeare Bigwater Boat Rods. The 2 heavy action selections are the 6'6" and the 8'.
    -I prefer a longer set up however; and I dont know if this sounds like a dumb question but would the 8' rod be as stiff and "torquey" as the 6'6" rod?
    I'm thinking a good combo that would suit what I'm looking for is the 8' Bigwater Boat rod and pairing it with the Penn 309M.
    Once again thanks for all of the replies. You all are a lot of help. Hoping to have a good "off season" for the flatheads and really tear 'em up next year :cool2:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ugly stik tiger 7'mh is pretty darn stiff with a flex tip the 8' bwb 40-80# is big as a broom handle but still flexs over about half the rod but plenty strong. theres alot more options. seen your post after mine the 8'bwb is the bomb go to king kats suck 2 and look twards the end go for the 8:wink::cool2::big_smile:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  9. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You want a stout rod? Welder/Troy hooked me up with a Ozark Snagging Stick, you will pull the fish out of the timber with some timber along with it, lol. As long as you got the line.

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  11. Catfish Levi

Catfish Levi Member

State:
    chillicothe, mo
    i just bought a 10ft daiwa beefstick off ebay should be here this week i hope its a good stong rod

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I have 2 of the 7' Heavy action Beef Sticks. They are stouter than some actual broom sticks i've seen...:eek:oooh::smile2:
    You'd have to hook into a decent sized fish before they will bend any at all. Anything under 5lbs and you don't really know its hooked...:eek:oooh:
    I like them pretty well for short distance boat fishing and they are priced good too.:cool2:

13. kflats

kflats New Member

State:
    wamego, ka
    bigwater ugly stick!!!...just dont shut the tailgate up on them, they dont like that ...unfortunately I learned the hard way.:embarassed::angry:

14. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    For a TOUGH rod, at a price that cant be beat, look at the Shakespeare Study Stiks. Id get the 7'er as it has a slightly softer tip than the 6.5'er.
    Less than 20 bucks, but tough enough for anything.
    Definately not an all around rod, but will do want you are wanting to do with no problems.

15. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Beef sticks cheap an good I have 5