brookville lake?ZEBRA MUSSELS

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by capt.kirk, Sep 3, 2005.

1. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

ZEBRA MUSSELS
    I have been hearing rumor about zebra mussels starting to infest the lake
    has any one been hearing anything about this ,or is it just talk?I have also
    been told that fishing at white water lake is coming back strong with some
    good catches reported to the DNR.
    CAPT.KIRK
    NEW PORT RICHEY FL. :)

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Zebra mussels may have many drawbacks, but catfish, especially blues, love to eat them. Fish a zebra mussel bed in the spring, and you are almost certain to catch catfish. You can tell a cat that's been eating zebra mussels by its anus, which will be red and swollen from passing the empty shells. I like using a bloody, oily bait like skipjack at these times.

3. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Yes, that would explain the cats that I have been catching with sore red anus'. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try skipjack. Do you think any kind of cut bait will work? Thanks :)

4. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish brookville about 3 days a week, there is no dought there is a mussel explosion. They run from elly creek to the damb. They cover our cut bait from time to time. They tear up mono line, dont really bother the braid I use. But when they drop the lake in the winter they cover the rocks from hanna creek to bonwell. They havent really hurt the catfishing though u just have to fish a little deeper spots. Because the water is getting so much clearer. The one real plus is we are finding grass growing all the way out to about 12' deep. having to fish deeper doesnt bother me through the summer though because im generally fishing around 20 feet deep any way. U can see the bottom in about 15 feet by bonwell all the way to striper cove