Brood XIII

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kyredneck, Apr 19, 2007.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    All you folks from IA, IL, IN, MI, WI, ready for this year’s emergence of Brood XIII of the 17 year periodcal cicacada? Best top water fishing I’ve ever had was during a locust year using a fly rod w/poppers. The bass were full already but everything thing else was coming to the top to feed, including catfish. Brood XIV appears in my area next year.

http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fauna/michigan_cicadas/Periodical/BroodXIII.html

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    was wondering when those things was gonna show up again.I was thinking last year was the 17 year turnaround.Oh well a year off isn't bad I guess. Sure hate to see them show back up. The last time they were a pain in the A--!!.Can really do without them (good bait or not)They eat every thing in site and the darn noise.Hate it. Thanks for the input just the same. Now I've got something to look forward to:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: . Just when are they suppose to make thier presents known anyway. Can't remember what month they show up.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good info. What about Mo.? How can I find out? Are those the smaller red/orange ones with red eyes?

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  5. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Very interesting information.

Anybody brave enough to try any of these?
    The Chocolate Covered Cicadas sound especially delicious.
    (... but I think I'll pass.)

Tony
    _

6. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Early May till late June. Get your ear plugs ready!

_

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
  8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My 24 and 27 yr old daughters and I have already made a pact for 2008; if one tries em', the other two must also!

It's almost deafening in the woods around here. There's something about the vibrations from small engines that attract them because in 1991 we would get bombarded by them when mowing or running a tiller.

In the 1974 locust year I went with two friends to Dale hollow Lake in TN. The water was so clear you could see about 30' down and see the fish coming up to get your popper. Drum, channels, and carp (one 18 lber on a fly rod!), were mostly what we caught. I remember being able to see big largemouths mulling around but couldn't coax them to strike, I guess they were full of the bugs already. I did catch one nice smallmouth though.