Broken Ugly Stick

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Nate, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    Anyone ever had one broken before?

I'm wondering how I would go about telling the company and having it replaced.

Thanks in advance for any info supplied!

2. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    Never broken one before ....

just call the company and tell them what happened ...
    more often than not they will replace with new

mike

3. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    I broke one 2 weeks ago and took it back were I bought it. They didn't want to exchage it but I really poured it on thick (charm). They finally said I could replace it with the exact same model. I think I got really, REALLY lucky on that one.

4. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i had one about 2 decades ago that was a med. action and i had bought it new.

well too many times showing friends how you could touch the tip to the tail and it finally cracked LOL :eek: .

now i just fish with them and dont try to push the envelope on my new one s HEHEHEHE :p

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I didnt think it was possible to break them. I've tried real hard too. Go to there website and drop them an email. I suspect they would be more than willing to accomadate you. Good Luck Fishin!

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yeah, it is very possible. Shut the trunk on one last year. Snapped it real good. But, never heard of em breaking during fishing.

7. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    This was an 8'6" Steelhead rod that I also used for catching channels. I liked it cuz I could whip a 2oz ball sinker 50 yards or more. Good for fishing the pier at Edgewater Park on Lake Erie.

I went to a fishing hole with my friend and he mentioned that they have big blue cats in there. So I caught a bluegill hooked him on the Ugly Stik and cast him out under a bobber.

Hooked into something like I've never experienced before. Couple minutes into the fight, the rod just kinda blew out right below where the top rod section slides onto the bottom section. There are 3 or 4 big lateral cracks in the blank running from where the rods fit together down to the first line eye.

I never would have expected that from an Ugly Stik, but it happened. I emailed them last night. I doubt they will replace the rod though. I know for sure I don't have the reciept. I think I've had the rod 4 years at least. It would be nice if they replace it. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

I've already replaced it. Ordered one of the Am Prem NiteSticks from Catfish Connection. It should be here any day!

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I had several of mine almost 20 years and never had one break on a fish before.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well there like a 7 year warrenty on the one i have. call or e-mail the company and explain the situation. ya might have to pay shipping.

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    They will replace it, without question if you have the receipt and send them the old rod back. Trouble is that if it is a 1 piece rod the shipping costs (you have to pay both ways) are higher. If it's one of the more expensive sticks, it would be worth it. I use 1 piece lite rods and after shipping I only came out about $4 ahead of just buying a replacement...W

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I sent back a 10 foot ugly stick last year without any problem. If you go to the Shakespeare Website there is a list of repair centers to send your rod. There is like six or seven I believe, just sent it the one nearest to you. The do say to include a check for 6.50 to cover shipping back to you but I recieved my check back with my rod uncashed. All in all it just cost the 5 bucks to mail it in and a week to get a new one.

12. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    I got an email back from them saying I would need a reciept for a replacement. I've had the rod for at least 4 years and never kept the reciept. Never would have thought I needed to keep the reciept, I've never had an Ugly Stik break before.

Anyone have a reciept for a $60 Ugly Stik you can scan for me? LOL

I might try just sending it to one of the service centers with a check for shipping and hope for the best.

13. Whiskers4life

Whiskers4life New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I had bought a Catfish Ugly Stick last year, and snapped in the car, and I took it back without reciept from where I bought it, and they gladly took it and exchanged it for the exact same rod......Thats at a place called Gander Mountain, if ya heard of them....I don't see how they couldnt give you, and I am pretty sure that they lifetime warranties on them aswell.....

14. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I used to shop at Gander Mountain all the time, it is a great store. I wish there was one close to where I live, but then again maybe that would be a bad thing because I would always be broke,. :)

15. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Nate,

Ugly Stik offers a double warrenty...5 years for some things, 7 for others. I'm sure I read a tale on here about someone breaking their Ugly Stik, calling customer service, and being questioned about how the stick got broken. I believe he was asked, "How big was the fish that broke it?" and replied, "I don't know, it got away" Well, that was the right answer, to prove it had been broken while fighting a fish. His rod was replaced. I would call them also, before spending your own money to have it fixed.

Hope this helps.

16. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The only time I have ever had an ugly stick break was when I , wait a minute I never had one break, but there was one time that I was snagged up on something jerking the pole and the top half slid down into the lake and the line ended up snapping. I brought the bottom half back to walmart and explained it and they gave me a new one , no questions asked.

17. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Gander Mountain?? i had a rod break in the bed of a truck one day form a full cooler that wasnt properly secured.....(a quantem big cat), well i needed to replace it and went to Gander Mountain in the columbus ohio area.......i was looking for a baitcasting rod atleast 8 ft or more.......i was dissappointed in this store as they had nothin to cater to catfishing except a few big garcia reels............not one rod i could have used from there, tons of bass rods although, lol..........well the guy there was helpfull though as he told me of a great place to find a good cat rod, now any of u from the central Ohio area listen up.............this place is on the southside of columbus off of kenny rd near alum creek dr...............its called Fishermans Warehouse........great shop........

18. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    BassMassey.... Thank you very much. Last year I went to Gander Mountain and they had alot of rods for flathead fishing, went back this year and nothing but bass and walleye rods. Had a lot of St. Croix walleye rods so I had to leave before I bought a few.:D I will definitely checkout Fishermans Warehouse. Abu

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I recently had a new tip put on an Ugly Stick because the rod broke just below the old tip. I don't even know where the rod came from; it just kind of appeared in a broken condition. I didn't bother trying to get it replaced, because it cost less than $4.00 to get the new tip put on, and shipping would have run more than that.

20. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    yeah abu.......Fishermans wharehouse has plenty of nice cat rods, about an equal assortmant of baitcasting rods and spincasting rods........about 2 or 3 racks full of em..........its located i would say about 2 miles west of alum creek dr off of kenny rd........now when ur driving down kenny and u think u might of passed it keep going, i thought i past it and turned around and ended up turning back around........its around the Obetz area.......u will shurley find what ur looking for its the best shop in central ohio that i know of and many other people would say the same.........