BROKEN TENT POLES

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by catman-j, May 9, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I took my wife to a lake tonight and the wind was really bad. When we went back to our camping spot we discovered that one of the poles was broken. It's the fiberglass type with the elastic cord in the middle with several section and the end of each section has a metal (aluminum) sleeve. One of the sleeves is broken. Any ideas how to fix this?

2. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I actually saw this done at the DeGray gathering. Shilohred took some thread and wrapped the broken section pretty tightly, then took masking tape and covered this to eliminate it unwrapping. Seemed to work good but then, it wasn't my tent so I'm not sure.:eek:oooh:

3. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Catman, I sent a pm, I found them.

4. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    The section isn't broken in the middle, it's broken at the end. The aluminum sleeve on the end broke in half.:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

5. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    Perhaps you could use a gob of J-B Weld across the broken area. Also I always keep on hand fiber glass cloth and resin and find it useful for many things that are not metal. Try the product J-B weld found at your local "Wally World". Good Luck!

6. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Actually I got it fixed at a local sporting goods store called Canfields. They pulled the elastic cord back, untied the knot, pulled the sections of pole off until they reached the broken ferrell replaced it then reassembled it taking about 20 minutes and charged me $3.50. I'm a happy camper!