Broken skeg on 115hp looking for fast fix

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by trashman, Apr 2, 2007.

1. trashman

trashman New Member

State:
    buffalo
    got me a new used boat looks ok runs great skeg broke any help would be nice

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't believe there is really a "fast" fix for your problem. There is a skeg on the market which I believe you bolt on to the existing skeg for one fix. The second fix is to take it to a reputable welding shop and have them fabricate and weld a skeg on the lower unit. Believe you need to disassemble the lower hub so your seals/bearings won't be damaged by the heat. Third option is to buy a lower unit (I believe they are called a foot) with a good skeg on it. None of these ways are cheap and none are fast. The second or third option would be the best bet.

3. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Yea, there is a skeg guard on the market. Bolts on. Don't know if it will go over yours, but would be worth looking into.

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have seen at local boat repare shops replacement skegs. But you would either have to weld it yourself if you are good at welding aluminum or your best bet would be to get a good welder to weld it for you.

5. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I talked to a prop shop owner from Dubuque, Iowa a couple weeks ago when I was about to purchase one from the local marina. He advised to not get the skeg protector. He said many times he gets lower units that are repairable. Those he gets with skeg protector on them break/crack along the area just below or at that area just (cant remember the name of the motor part) below the prop shaft which if its repairable at all makes the repair much more expensive. For those two reasons I decided to not get one.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Brent, you might check into this one: http://www.blackfinskeg.com/ . I saw it on a boating show some time back, and they spoke pretty well of it, but I don't know of anyone who's used it. :smile2:

7. REELFUN

REELFUN New Member

State:
    SC
    I broke my skeg off one time. I had it fixed at Skip's Propellers in North Charleston, SC. Thier phone number is 843-552-4000. The guys name is Mike. I don't know if you could take a trip there or not. Its not too far from the Santee Cooper Lakes though. He will help you out for a reasonable price. When he was finished with mine you could not tell it was ever broken. No disassembly off the lower unit was required. Good Luck.

8. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i too have a busted skeg... i've just let it be as it doesn't affect anything from what i can see... the metal is solid in the area thats broken, all i have noticed is that it creates a little bit of cavitation when i'm running fast and the prop slips in the water a little bit now and again... that blackfin looks like a good shot, and its cheaper than what the place in sc qouted me for plus gas to get there and back... i'm goin to look into that blackfin and prolly get it here in a few weeks... i'll let yall know if i get it and give a good report on it.

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I broke of my skeg on my honda 90. Since I had already made a skeg protector/prop gaurd sometime back for my 60 merc, I used the same idea and fabricated one similar to the merc and it works fine.... If you do not have access to welding equip etc. Do the smart thing and buy the skeg gaurd from Cabelas..... and be done with it.

bayrunner ray