Broken net, but still got the fish - Fish net bent then broke?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by mcwrestler, Apr 17, 2006.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have only been into flathead and blue fishing, at least for the big ones, for a couple of weeks. My PB so far is 42in 30lb. Two weeks ago or so my friend missed netting a large blue with my brand new big net, but today I finally got to christen it. It came in the form of a 36in 28lb flathead. As I held the rod and netted it, my net bent, then broke. All in all, at least I got the fish. Now the question, what kind of net do you all use.

2. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    thanks sucks that the net broke but a least you got the fish Geat Job
    :rolleyes:

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hands was how I landed my first one, and it will be how I land my next one. Stupid me figured hey, I got it, use it. The nets are just for carp from now on.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    congrats on the getting the fish. the way to use the net . once the fish is in net lift with handle vertical .this takes the strain off the net circle and connection. good luck

5. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would have to say that I lift my fish with the hoop NOT the handle, JMO.

6. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I usually lift by the hoop, but trying to pull the fish up snapped it, oh well, I will return it to KMART for a refund and just use my rubber net and hands from now on.

7. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Might want to consider a pair of gloves to save the skin on your hands!:)

8. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That will be considered, so far I have been careful not to jerk my hand out and rip skin, but one big blue crunched me good, just on the bite.

9. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    When you land a fish pull the net straight up, it keeps the pressure off of the handle and hoop. if you raise it like a shovel all the weight will be on the handle.

10. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    I don't use a net.. Although sometimes I wish I did, even if the fish is relatively small since I sometimes fish in rocky areas where the fish can get stuck and might break the line if you pop em outta the water.

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    The fish in My avatar broke My net with a simple swing of his tale. So i invested in a much better net, The frabil Powercatch net is a very strong well made net. Well worth the $65 price tag IMO

12. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The net was a black frabill tangle free, and the fish bite was off for most of the week last week, but when I walked outside today I just had a feeling things were changing, the wind picked up and when its windy I fish. I was using cut shad, freshly killed for bait. The fish did not apear to have eggs, it was just solid all across. Caught 40yards of shore in a local pond.

13. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Also, I could hardly tell there was a bite. it was windy and the tip was moving down a few inches then up, stopping then slowly slowly pulling down again. I watched for 30 seconds, took the rod from the holder and as soon as I felt a tug I set the hook hard. The rig was 20lb line, 6oz egg sinker glass bead size 1/0 swivel 14in 30lb leader, and a 5/0 gamakatsu wide gap worm hook. Those may not be "catfish" hooks, but they penetrate every cat that touches them.

14. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Brad, first of all congrats on the catch. They dont make a net to big. I would purchase the biggest Net that I could find, but as others have said you lift the net with the butt of the handle towards the sky. This takes all the pressure off the hoop and handle and also keeps the fish from coming out by closing the hoop. Vern

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If you put a big fish in a net, don't try to lift him with the handle - what i mean is don't lift the handle horizontally - that puts all the strain on the net hoop. Hold the handle vertically (if the net bag is deep enough so the fish won't fall out) and lift it straight up.

16. okiehillbilly

okiehillbilly New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    After we broke the line on our trot line trying to pull in a large fish we always use a net. Its just a regular size one from wal mart

17. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Nets are for wimps. I use my hands , no gloves. I just stick my hand in the flatties mouth and show him whos boss. They usually make me bleed but the more I bleed the bigger story I have to tell.:) Heres one of my stories

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smiley " my dog" and I got to the Mississippi river about four oclock on easter morning. I had two poles with me, my 7000 abu garcia and my 320 iroc, the 320 is on my lucky pole. On the abu I used a large rock bass and on the iroc , I used shad guts with a strip of shad at the end of the hook. I threw the rockbass close to shore and I threw the shad way out into the current. This is the time of the year where you can catch some large blues out in the current. So i waited and waited. Then about daylight I started to get a small bite on the shad in the current. It was no big deal so I just kinda sit there and watched it. It would bite then it would stop . I figured it was just some small channel that was eating my bait. I deceided to reel it in before it ate it all. Of course I gave it a large jerk not expecting to even hook it.

To my suprise I knew it was a big one. This was not the first big one I have hooked so I didn/t panic. I kept the pressure on him waiting for him to give up. Then something happened that had never happened before. He did not give up, instead he got stronger. Then the fear hit me, my guts knotted up as I felt his brute power. I could not stop him. I thought he was going to break my pole or snap my line. I did the only thing I could do , I loosened the drag just a bit. The monster sensed what I did and used it to his advantage. Like a unstoppable train he headed into the fast currrent. I put my thumb on the spool to try to slow this mighty beast from below but it did not work he just kept on going and going. Then I did panic , it was in the current and my line was running out . I was on the verge of conceding defeat when I felt the train was slowing down. New hope rose as I gained on him, Slowly I got him closer and closer. My arms were getting tired and was happy the fight was almost over when he did a u turn and headed back out. Again there was no stopping the beady eyed beast . I hung on and hoped for the best. Next a horrible thing happened , smiley got under my feet and tripped me. I fell face first into the river ,the end of the pole hitting me in the mouth, larcerating my lip. Holding on to the pole with all my might , spitting blood ,I rose from the river. He was still on and I renewed my effort. Three or four times he made his get away while I held on like my life depended on it. Finally with shaking knees and arms a throbbing I saw the monster as I was finally able to beach him. I jumped right in the river and wrestled him to shore. I was breathing hard my had in his mouth holding him. He clamped down hard but I endured the vise like pain. I waited in agony for him to let go, when he did I stuck smileys leash down his throat and out his gil. I had him!!! He was mine!!! The big one did not get away!!
    Smiley really barked and barked at the flat head but he would not get too close. I think he was just happy the fish was on the leash instead of him. I had to use the leash as I normaly let them go and I don/t even carry a stringer. However since I wanted some pics, the only thing I had was smilys leash. It was about twenty feet long and made out of nylon so it worked out great.

I tied the fish to a tree and went to find some one to help me carry the fish as I could not do it myself as I have a bad back. I had to walk about 1/4 a mile out of the woods. I stumbled out of the woods a bloody mess bleeding from the mouth and my hand where the fish had bit me. I seen two big strong guys and asked them to help me. At first they thought I had been beat up but I explained what happened and they were glad to help.

There was about twenty people at the river and they all came to look at it. I felt great every one seing how big my fish was. I live at this camp ground about three miles from the river so I threw him into the trunk drove there real quick and put him in the lake. Since it was easter I had a barbacue to go to so I took a pic and showed it to every one , most of my family and friends drove out to the lake to look at him. Later that evening I let him back in the river he was alive and well , just a littled pissed off.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My local Wal Marts just don't carry nets big and strong enough to use for catfishing. I even have trouble when it's time to buy a replacement net to put on the net frame; very few places carry that big of a net. In addition to lifting with the net handle pointed straight up, you might try grabbing hold of the upper side of the hoop AND the netting to lift with. That takes all the pressure off the handle and most of the pressure off the hoop, since you're doing most of the lifting with the netting.

19. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Frabill makes good nets. Catfish connection has some good nets that you might want to check into.