Broken Hooks on Trotline?? (what was it?)

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catpound, Jun 3, 2007.

1. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Had a trotline set in what was supposed to be a good flat head area. Set and baited yesterday using a few different types of hooks. What seemed like the strongest and best hooks turned out to have one hook straightened out and one hook broke off by the barb. These were 7 ot circle hooks from wallmart. I think they were maybe "sharp" brand. Not sure if this could have been just a cheap hook or if something big layed into her. This was intriging for me, we had cut blue gill on nearly everything because of all of our blue gill not making it through the trip. At the end of the trotline was the one and only thing we caught a medium size snapper. Could have this snapper or a bigger snapper straightened one hook and then broke another 7 ot hook or was this a monster flatty?

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Big snappers in my opinion but you know what they say about opinions. Everyone has one and they all stink !!!:tounge_out:

3. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yeah i hear that tamjohn expecially with fishing. thanks and does anyone have any advice on a the strongest hook? I've always used and liked 6-10 ot circle hooks, they seem strong and I like them because I bank pole fish and set trot lines. I figured this helped keep the bluegill on better and the fish I catch until i return to check.

4. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Mustad 6/0 big gun is what you need.. Pulled a 67lb flathead in with it, Over a mth ago and i am still using the same hook, all i have done is sharpened it alittle.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    was your line tied to something solid? if i cant give a little fish will pull off or straitin hooks.

just a thaught.

6. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the info fellas, any advice is greatly appreciated

7. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would have to say it was either Nessy or the Sasquach. Seriously!

8. turkey22

turkey22 New Member

State:
    alabama
    It was the turtle. I fish trotlines with the same hook you are using and catch catd all the way up to 80 lbs. The only time I get one bent or broken is in the jaws of a Loggerhead.

9. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Fishing with cut brim I would say it was a turtle or a gar.I've never caught flathead on anything but live bait.Try to find some sun perch or mudcat they stay alive for days.Small grinnel work really well too.

10. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks guys I appreciate all the info

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Also, make sure that a good fish can't get a solid pull. You can either use bungee cords or pieces of inner tube at each end, or use rocks to keep the trotline taut (see library for diagram).

12. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I set a lot of limblines and have never had the hooks straitened...but I have on trotlines....the limblines have a lot of play in them. I use size 9 stainless Shanasities trotline hooks ordered from Barlows....they have great prices and these last a while and are easy to resharpen. Sounds like you have an exciting situation on your hands.

13. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    a STRONG hook i would suggest would be EAgle claw.They work for me.And i say it was a snapper.

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i say turtle or gar, but there's the opinion factor... tru turns are extremely strong hooks, that's a proven fact, in my book. i am a circle hook kinda guy, but when i want to set the hook, tru turn is what i use. they also rotate on a trotline.
    jerry's right on with the innertube for the shock absorber. you ever take a 50' piece of the twine you are using and tie one end to a stationary object, like a fencepost, you can pull and stretch it quite a bit. now take a two foot piece and see how much play you get- not much! now with that shock absorber, anything on that hook is less likely to massacre it and more likely to be waiting on you come morning. just hopefully not a dang turtle!

main thing is, if you're fishin flatties, use live bait instead of cutbait.

good luck!

15. walleye086

walleye086 New Member

State:
    PA
    I have never broke a gammy!

16. medicdano

medicdano New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I love gamagatsu's. The sharp brand at the walmart is crap. I use 3/0 - 6/0 j hooks but a lot of guys use circles.

17. luvforcatfish

luvforcatfish New Member

State:
    ms
    this sounds like one huge flattie to me.

18. slim1

slim1 New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I have had some big hooks straightend before I started to use rubber bunge straps as a shock absorber. I big flathead can sure do some damage.

19. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    there's many a ways you can get a strightened hook i've got a couple due to snappers, had a couple happen from gar, even had 2-3 happen coz of floating debris it all depends many different factors