Broken Flexplate

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Mike81, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well for some reason the flexplate on my Ford diesel decided to give it up. Probably just fatigue I guess. Just got a new one in from ford so guess it's gonna be my project for the weekend. Not looking forward to it. Hopefully I can just move the trans back about 6 inches...enough to get at the bolts, pull out the old one and get the new bolts in and torqued. I'd rather be fishin...unfortunatly can't pull the boat without it...:angry:

mike

2. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Sorry for your luck buddy. Hope its not 4 wheel drive. Had to change the clutch in my 350 and it about killed me. Least the weathers cool:wink:.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you re best bet would proabably be to disconnect the drive shaft, put a jack under the tranny, unbolt the trany and then just slide it back out of the way. , but we all know that repairs of this sort are never that easy. good luck and watch your knuckles, for some reason a busted knuckle hurts more when its cold.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Haven't got around to it yet...been too busy with work, the kids cars and the holiday. Yep, it's 4wd so it's a heavy son of a gun with the transfer case attached. Hope to get to it soon...

mike

5. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Mike check out the torque convertor pretty close while you have it out ,sometimes a faulty convertor will break a flex-plate,good luck with your project

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    to ease your pain get 2 pieces of all thread rod about 12" long with a nut on the end to stop the trans from coming off and go through the trans into the block one on each side and you can slide the trans back on that so it wont fall and it will self alighn going back in.... i have a f250 and 350 so i have been in your shoes!!!

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh...I am worried about that. Drained the torque convertor, no excessive metal in the fluid. Is there anyway to tell if the tc may have a problem? It would suck to put a new $170 flexplate in only to break again due to the tc...

mike

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good idea...thanks!... Think I'll try it. Appreciate it!

9. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    mike not a whole lot you can phsically check on the convertor, just the stator to see if the one way clutch is holding, stick you finger down in the hole and you will feel the splines that fit onto the shaft, they should turn one way and not the other, if it has very high mileage , over 150k id just replace it while i was there, may save you having to do over and a failed convertor will sometimes damage the trans also, hope this helps and have a good holiday