Broken Abu HELP!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CatKing13, Jul 21, 2008.

1. CatKing13

CatKing13 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have an Abu Garcia 6500C, kinda old, vintage dare I say, that has a broken drag system. The understanding I get is it has broken drag washer/s but the guy at the bait shop estimated 60 bucks.....I really like this reel, my dad gave it to me it used to be his and I was wodering if anyone can fix it or knows what i should do?? Also the anti-reverse does not work but thats because I tried to take it apart when Im far from a reel repairmen. If anyone can help please let me know. Thanks!

2. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    u can order the drag washers for it for probly 15$ the anti reverse on it theres a keeper in the reel that sits on a small bar that goes on the gear to keep it from going backwards to fix this part just take the side plate off and put the lil keeper back on the gear i would bet it came off when trying to put the reel back together

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya not to hard a fix. washers can be ordered through abu. the anti reverse is just most likly not set back in right. can you post pics of the reel. i might be able to walk ya through it.

this may be to new for your model but maybe it can help.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3049

4. CatKing13

CatKing13 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    hmm well i remember when i took it apart i couldnt figure out how to get the entire right side apart, and the last thing i wanted to do was rip it apart and NEVER be able to fix it but ill see if i cant try my hand at it one more time....:wink:

5. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    theres 2 screws u have to take out of the sideplat for the plate to come off but thats after u take the handle off star drag an all that

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well if we cant get it here dont smash it,lol (i do things like that at times) anger issues lmao.

there expensive reels. worst come to worst for about $10 $5 each way+ the cost of washers you could ship it here and ill fix it and return it. labor??? nothing. hell i like to do it. and to help out a brother its nothing. but if ya have a dig cam we may be able to fix it right on here.

if ya need help loading pix well try that as well. whatever i can do to help.

feels nice to do somrthing worth while actually. been argueing so much here lately if i can help you out ide get my mind off that stuff.:wink:

7. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The guy who quoted you $60.00 is a crook. Order the drag washers from Smooth Drag and get a schematic drawing. Take your time and do what I used to- use a camera to record the dis-assembly. A couple of simple tools. A slot tip screwdriver and a short wrench to get the handle nut off. You can do it.

8. CatKing13

CatKing13 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks for all the help guys! i believe im going to try and break it down again this afternoon using that thread, ill be sure to keep you guys updated

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I would suggest upgrading to the carbontex drag washers from the place winston suggested except i think they have a couple more o's in the name smoooothe drag. the carbontex washers are the best available and worth the $$ put them in dry (oil on the drag is bad) and they should last forever. if i rember right i think you can pick them up for just under what labluehunter quoted you.

10. CatKing13

CatKing13 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well boys thanks for all the help but i found a local BOC member who decided to help me out for a very reasonable price so i believe all my worries are over. thanks for all the help! maybe if i have this problem again and its not my favorit reel ill try and break her down again but i just cant lose this one

11. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    you can send it in to pure fishing in iowa and tell them whats going on and sometimes get it repaired cheaper and by the factory guys just make sure to inclose a letter with your number telling them to call with an estimate