broke rod

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishangler, Sep 2, 2008.

1. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    well me and my 2 friends went to dutch gap this sunda night. well all was good when i went bait fishing and i cought about 100 bait fish with the casting net. when i got to dutch gap we went to one of my fav spot on the bank. my buddy cought a few small one and my other bud johnathon cought a few too. i hadn't had a hit the hole night, then about 1:30 in the morning i had my first bite( i was using a 10 serf rod)the fish grabed and took off with it i jump up all excited and grabed my rod and when i went to set the hook the fish pulled when i pulled and broke my rod in three places, the fish was still on and i was tring to fight him in with the bottom half of my rod. I got him to the bank about 10 min later and he got hung on some of the rocks at the bank. then boom my line went limp but i could still see his back my leader broke and he still had the hook. HE was a good size one from what i could see but by the time i got to the water he was gone.That was a very bad night and i hope it doesn't happen again but i figured it was a one of a kind trip and had to post it on here.

2. jamesriverman

jamesriverman New Member

State:
    va
    sturgon i bet you.

and i never found a good bank fishing spot at dutch gap and ware do you get bait.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    WOW! Great stuff. I love reading about poles snapping due to fish. Not because the fish got away, but b/c it shows what big and powerful fish are in these waters.

4. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    yeah i get my bait at swift creek,pull them out by the dozens every throw with the net.well i have another 10 footer and i hope this one doesn't break.:eek:oooh:

5. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    and if you go to dutch gap and walk the trail to the spot where it looks like you are in front of the opening on the other side of the river right pass the rope swing that is a great spot

6. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Your line gets caught where it's been dredged. Less than 10ft from the bank it's a solid drop.

7. awmurray2

awmurray2 New Member

State:
    Oxford, North Carolina
    Aww man, I feel your pain. Nothing like that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when the big one gets away. Better luck next time.

8. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    The only good thing to come of that is a new one. Anyway thinking about Dutch Gap. I do want to fish there and have been several times only to get hung in the dredge. I think I'm going to go with a Katbobber and give it another try....any night fishing there?? I know the signs say closed at dark.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Well I hope the police wouldn't harrass a night fisherman at DG, seeing how all the undesirables like to hang out there at night without being bothered. Slip bobber would be a good bet to avoid snags. Any of you bank guys ever fish at the corner there at Henricus Park, they have a pier I think? I tell you one thing, it's a good location either way on the bank. There are boats that fish all around that area due to good structure.

10. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    tha is one of the spots i do fish is that point and if the police come and see me there they just ride by becouse i am there 4 days out of the week i have a few other good spots there though and if anyone just wants to come and check out a new spot just let me know and i'll meet you there to do a little fishing i'll bring all the bait i have a hole by my house the i can throw the net 5 times and get about 60 shad