Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes it was on a snag but I swear I was pulling that hard.I've pulled way harder on my 8' King Kat and Water Eagle Rods without them breaking.It cracked right below where the 2 pieces come together.It was a Heavy Action Big water without the clear tip which I think is the reason it broke.Not enough flex.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Mike did you have one hand up on the rod when you were trying to pull from snag. I heard if you do this it puts alot of stress on the rod. I snapped one years ago doing that.Now I'll put a little preasure on the rod if I think its to much I always point the rod straight at the snag and pull. But a ugly stik bw I would think you could pull a tree up with one of those.

·
Registered
718 Posts
but with any thing if its miss treated it will not last for ever , and yes i miss treat my ugly sticks all the time so i aint talkin bad about ya buddy.
ramon is on the money yet again !!!!! LOL please listen to him , when i snag up i take my lighter out of my pocket and wrap the line around 7-10 times and keep wraping line around the lighter untill i have all the slack out and use my lighter as the pulling point ,
if yur using heavy line most of the time the hok will straighten out and you get your tackle back . worst cast the line snaps but not your rod!!!! any non sharp edged item will work as long as it said item is strong enough to do so .

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've broke a few ugly stiks over the years. Just send it back with a note, they are pretty good about replacing them. The ugly stik lite sp1170 mh 1piece 7ft, I been using for cats the past 6-7 yrs take a helleva beating from river flatheads and drifting for big blues. I wish they would make a heavy for stronger big river and heavier weights.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If I snag with a spinning reel I just hold on to the spool and walk backwards. I think with a baitcaster if you pull some line out and wrap it under the reel a few times and walk back with it that would work too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.