Broke in the new motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by clintonhawg1, Apr 6, 2007.

1. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I had the time last sunday to break in my new mercury 25 2 stroke .But when i get to full throttle now i cant get the 5500to 6000 rpm range im running about 5200 will the rpm increase as time goes on.

2. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    You will prolly have to drop to Prop Pitch size's to get the RPM's up .Each drop is about 200 RPM

3. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    You didn't mention boat size or how it was loaded, most of these things will affect peek rpm. Check with your rep for some advice, oem props are
    determined by average of usage. You may have to reduce the prop pitch
    to raise rpms.

4. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just wondering...does the oil/fuel mix have anything to do with it?Whats your ratio at?I know with the small 2-stroke engines i deal with,theres a big difference with a 25:1 than a 50:1 mix.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yep, sounds like you need a pitch change. Hopefully your dealer will swap it for you. I know mine said they'd give me a week or two to bring it back but they got it right on the first try.

6. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Well the dealer says to run the first tank 25:1 and then go to 50:1 so this could have something to do with it.

7. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    The 25:1 obviously is rich in oil so the motor wont run as fast as if it was 50:1.With the 25:1,there will also be more smoke than with a leaner mixture.Finish the break in procedure then let me know if theres a change to the rpms when you go with a leaner mixture.