Broadhead question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by smhmc6, Nov 4, 2008.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a question about broadhead style. What are the advantages/disadvantages between 2 blade and 3 blade broadheads? I'm more concerned with cutting performance than flight performance, but I would welcome any comments on flight performance differences. I have shot mechanicals in the past, but I've settled on Muzzy mx3's for the last 2 seasons. I've never shot 2 blades. It seems like some of the 2 blade set ups have a wider cut, but I guess the 3 blades might have a "rounder" hole. What are your opinions?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've shot the magnus style 2 blade heads for years. I have to turn the insert to where the head is straight up and down with the cock feather. They fly great, penetration is aw sum and you can sharpen them. I've shot all sorts of heads in my time but will likely stick with 2 blade heads from now on out.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was actually watching Uncle Ted hog hunting when the question popped into my head. He always shoots those Magnus Stinger 2 blade broadheads like you, and man he tore that hog apart. I've also seen some pictures of animals taken with those new rage 2 blade broadheads and man, those entry wounds are huge. I can't say that I've had any problems with my Muzzies, but I'm always looking for a quicker cleaner (or messier:wink:) way to kill deer.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Regardless of what you shoot make sure it's sharp. I use the rubber band test myself. Stretch a rubber band between your fingers and slide the head thru it. If it severs it, it's sharp. If it pushes the band back, it will do the same with arteries, push it back and not sever it. The magnus heads will get sharp as a old hickory butcher knife.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Myself, I like the Shuttle T- Lock broadheads. They are a small profile head with great flight characteristics. The offer a 1 1/8" cutting diameter. The penetration of these heads is amazing. I've had complete pass throughs on 3 deer and 1 bear since I've used these heads.

On the flip side. 2 blade heads offer better penetration
    3 blade heads offer better accuracy

Do your homework and try different heads and decide for yourself.
    Archery is an experimental sport. Trial and error!

It all depends on how well your bow is tuned and make sure you spin test the arrows with the heads to make sure they spin true.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I just bought a pack of 125 gr. I like the design and how they lock in. I notice that they are chromed which means they are not stainless which is hard to sharpen. Hopefully a good hard carbon steel.

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Ozzy! The Shuttle T-Lock does have stainless steel blades. They are thick and tough. I never had one blade break from using them hunting! The blades are replaceable. Replacing the blades is easy to. Just be careful and follow the instructions!! Sharping the blades would be almost impossible, because of the blade design. The extra replaceable blades aren't that expensive.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I guess I should have read the directions first, I aint lost. LOL I just assumed with that finish that they were chromed, my bad. I love the design, bad to the bone..... cant wait to use them.

9. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I will stay with the NAP Spitfire mechanicals. Reason being they do fly like a field point, and i dont have to tune my bow any differently after shooting field points. Im not one to sharpen, so i buy replacement blades for them and change them after every kill. It would take me years to learn to sharpen half as good as a computer controlled laser.

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I love the NAP Spitfires and Shockwaves for turkey hunting! I can shoot accurately through my shoot through netting on my Double-Bull hunting blind. Never had an issue with bad accuracy and they are deadly. Great head for hunting. I just like the 3 blade fixed heads for hunting big game.

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    If they don't shoot just as well as your field points, I'll eat my bow!! LOL! I love and so do my friends that use them. The Shuttle-T Locks got a real test in Africa this summer. My friend that uses them, shot a big Sable Antelope, Bush Pig and a huge Roan Antelope. The Roan Antelope is the pending WORLD RECORD taking in a concession area. Meaning fenced in property consisting of 5000 acres. Not a canned hunt by no means!! Approx. 7.8 sq. miles.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    BPS had me all mixed up, Im starting all over with 125 Gr. field points and broad heads to match. Gonna dial this bow in the right way. :wink:

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi all,
    I don't use a bow much anymore, but, I used to hunt with them quite a bit.
    I started out using a replaceable blade broadhead and had one disentegrate in an elk. It killed the beast, but, I didn't like the weakness of it.
    I switched over to Zwickey Black diamonds, and also, Bear razorheads, 2 blade only, and always got them flying real nice. Used them for decades. They cut through , hair, arteries, organs and bones very nicely.
    I have the ability to sharpen Very well, and would get them to razor sharpness then run them over a coarse stone, or take a file over them to create micro-serrations. The wound chanels these broadheads would create were terrible awesome. Massive hemmoraghe, very quickly.
    The archery bows and tackle I've seen around lately seem like a different type of approach, but, it's still a matter of getting a sharp blade through the vitals.
    I did always prefer the carbon steel broadheads, to stainless. Part of the reason was that if I needed to touch them up in the field , it was real easy to do.
    After having to dig a few out of stumps,trees,or the ground, I could actually pound a bent broadhead straight, and hit it with a file and be good to go.
    I realize the gear changes are going to lighter and faster arows, and the "old" stuff may not work with that equipment.
    I shoot these days a Robertson longbow, and if I do my job, it'll do it's job. Fun stuff.

14. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I love the 3 blade muzzys but after changing bow strings for the life of me could not get them to fly good. So I switched to the NAP spitfires and they fly real well. They do a good bit of damage also.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Got to get a pic of that posted, :wink:.

16. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Muzzy 3 blade for me. They hit exactly where the field points do and they have a great wound channel. The practice blades that they include are great because I dont have to dull up a set of good blades. I would trust Muzzy anywhere on anything.

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I also have been using Muzzys for the past 5 years or so. I use the 100 gr. 4 blade model. I took a doe last week and the Muzzy entered behind the right shoulder and penetrated straight through the left shoulder bone, serious bone crushing ability! :cool2:

18. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    That's awesome penetration,,,
    Doesn't sound like a cpr situation for that doe:smile2:
    Good shot placement...

19. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    3 blade muzzy for me. If they hit in the vitals the animal is down for the count, plus they fly almost as true as my field points...I just use the practice blades to dial my broadheads in right before hunting season and I only shoot practice blades during the season to keep my form and to check that I havent knocked the sight out of alignment.

bill

20. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Ya I'm a muzzy man myself. you can't beat the price or the performance