Broadhead for small game??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Tip123Q, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Tip123Q

Tip123Q New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was wondering if you really needed the blunt type broadhead for squrils ( lol cant spell at all) or if i can just use a plain ol' feild tip??

2. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I’ve hunted squirrels a lot with a bow and I like using the “flu-flu” arrows and the blunt tips.
    The flu-flu arrows will fly quickly for a short range and then fall quickly.
    Regular field tips just pass right through and I have stuck them in tree limbs.:angry:
    When I was young and couldn’t afford blunt tips I would just slide an old 30-30 cartridge over the field tip and use that for a blunt tip.
    Squirrel hunting with a bow is a lot of fun. It works best to have two guys; one to turn the squirrel and the other to make the shot.

Have fun.

3. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    and one to watch where the arrow goes on a miss lol

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    .32 or .38 cases will work and don't stick up in the trees

5. Tip123Q

Tip123Q New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanx everyone, went out today but had no luck this was kind of a dumb Q because now that I think about it a feild point would stick in a tree.

6. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I use small game tips for squirrels and rabbits. they are wide, blunt, heads that transfer energy rather than cut into the game. my favorite thing about them is if you miss, they catch brush and are easier to find since they dont fly into next week.

7. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    For small game I use a shocker. It has a small blunt tip with springs so if you his grass it stops your arrow. I have used it on squirrel and rabbits. I wont use the blunt tips again. They also work very well with your regular hunting arrows. No need to buy special arrows to hunt small game. However they do tear up a little meat.