Broad River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Rmills, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Does anybody fish broad river out there?

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I fish Broad River up here around Gaffney a good bit. Loads of channel cats and some are decent size. Where abouts are you wanting to know about?

3. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i fish down toward parr you ever fish down that way ?

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    No can't say that I have. It doesn't look to good for boating and access can be hard to find. I have thought about fishing Parr but have had the chance yet. I heard a few bass fishing guys talking about fishing around Neal Shoals but I don't know how to get in in that area.

5. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i love fishing the broad!

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I do too but bank access is tough to find. Here in Gaffney they'res three dams and five boat ramps on Broad River. The DNR stocks Smallmouth bass above and below 99 Island Dam.

So far I haven't caught any big cats but I believe they are here. Duke Power has a link for Maps of the Broad River in Cherokee County because they are the ones that run the boat ramps.

7. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i love catching smallmouth they are just hard to get locate down my end of the river. there are good cats in the river. i have come upon a few myself.

8. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    i have a buddy who fishes the Broad alot, two weeks ago he caught fifty catfish in one area! all nice size! the cats in Parr are small! haven't seen any big ones caught out of there, i used to fish Parr alot, but because gas is out of contol, we don;t travel much anymore, just Murray my home lake that i live on!! i think he caught them on nightcrawlers!! good luck!!!

9. Rebelcat16

Rebelcat16 New Member

State:
    Hickory Grove,SC
    I fish the broad around Gaffney to. Hadn't had time to fish it this year yet.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Don't feel to bad Rebel, I've only fished it twice and that was from the bank.

11. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I seen a pic in the union daily times of a 26lbs cat caught at parr last week. The guy had several other good fish the same nite.

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thomas, I would like to try the Broad River. Coming up from Greer on I-85, what boat ramp(s) would you suggest. Also, what areas below dams do you think are worth trying?

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    None of the areas below the dams here can be accessed by boat due to shallow water and extra-large rocks. Bank fishing them is almost as bad.

Ramps. Hum. Best ramp right now is Pick Hill because the water is low around Gaston Shoals area right now. They are working of the dam at Gaston Shoals (Dravo Dam).

I'm not sure of the road names to get there right off hand. I'm thinking it 99 Island Road. Duke Power has a link to maps of the river in that section, try there.

14. CarolinaCatter

CarolinaCatter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    RIVERRAT,
    This used to be FastenalFishing, I have changed my call name for a few different reasons, but I am now CarolinaCatter. We still need to get together and go. I might venture up to the Broad this summer.
    I just don't want to hit anything with my motor. I need someone to show me around.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    No problem. I know the river pretty well and I can go on Mondays and Tuesday.

16. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Well they have changed my hours a little so now I'm free on Wednesdays. I hope to fish somewhere above 99 Island next week. Not sure if I'll fish during the day or night yet.