Broad River Pollution Problem?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by wylie catter, Apr 22, 2008.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Someone told me yesterday that they were talking about broad river on the news. They said it was so polluted that the public should not eat any fish at all from it. And if you caught a fish you should handle it with rubber gloves and throw it back.
    I thought he was full of crap but he swears it's the truth. He said they were supposed to be putting up warning signs at all the landings.

Have any of y'all heard anything about this?

2. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I haven't heard anything about this. Keep us informed.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Not sure who you heard on the news, or where, but DHEC has Broad River listed with NO consumption advisories. If you hear further info, please post. Thanks.
    I think I did hear something about the French Broad River, in NC, but don't quote me on that.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    The story was on WSPA out of Spartanburg. It seems they water has a high level of bactera in the places they tested. One area was Cherokee Falls Dam. It may still be on their website.

5. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah the Cherokee falls area is where the guy lives. It's here in upstate south carolina for anyone who doesn't know.

The 99 islands dam area and pick hill above the dam are the only places I ever go on the broad. (near blacksburg and gaffney)

But this could effect people from the mountains to the coast.

6. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Is the cherokee fall dam and 99 dam the same thing?:eek:oooh:

7. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    NO first you've got Gaston Shoals above I-85, next is cherokee falls, then 99 islands. If you run the river from 99 all the way, you come to cherokee falls dam.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Gaston Shoals is the first dam after you cross into SC from NC. Cherkee Falls in the next dam downstream and Ninety-Nine Island Dam is the last dam in Cherokee County. Its polluted all the way down I'd say but they only checked a few places.

9. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've spent some time looking for info on the web and haven't found much of anything. I spent at least an hour on that news channels web site, and it's not on there anymore. I went back through all the arcives I could.

The only thing I did find while searching the web was a caption from a bass web site. The guy was saying he went up toward the cherokee falls dam looking for some faster water, and there were dead fish floating everywhere.
    But the dern site is having problems or something. It won't let me on.

Maybe somebody will find a link to something.

Some of my freinds fish broad river a lot. I'll tell them to let me know if they see any new signs about it.