Broad River in the upstate of SC

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by RiverratSC, Aug 15, 2005.

1. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Anybody been on the Broad River lately? I haven't been in a while but I plan on going before to long.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I haven't been to the river in a while but I plan on going sometime this winter. I know there has to be some good size channels somewhere so now I need to find them.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's a pretty long drive for me, but I am curious about what areas you fish, and what boat landings there are.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I fish mostly between Cherokee Falls Dam and 99 Island Dam. Only cats in there are channels and a few bullheads. Not really worth a ride up here unless you want to smallmouth bass fish. There is only two good places in SC to smallie fish, one is Lake Jocassee, two is Broad River here in Cherokee County. Oh yeah the state record Musky was caught here too but I haven't caught one of those yet.

5. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I've caught some nice smallies behind 99 dam,and behind neal shoals dam. There is pretty good channel catting behind neal shoals dam but i like to fish the river behind monticello for big channels.

6. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I've not fished broad in the real cold months. is it any good.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the info, guys. Next time I'm up that way, I may check out some of the area, just for curiosity.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've caught channels in Nov, Dec and Jan. usually on minnows.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm thinking about attemping a Broad River fishing trip this week while I'm off work. Although I'm not sure what species of fish I will be after. They are calling for snow here tomorrow morning so I doubt I will get to go tomorrow but Tuesday is looking alright.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm gonna give it another try Tuesday, not sure what to fish for yet.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    If the weather holds out this week I'm going down to 99 Island or Pick Hill and get it my all. I'll take some minnows and nightcrawlers to see what I can find. I'm thinking it will be a daytime trip because I have to pick my daughter up from school. I might even take her with me not sure just yet.

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Lemme know when, Thomas, & maybe I can meet you there.

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I spoke to my daughter just a bit ago and she wants to go Tuesday because Wednesday at school will be a break-day from PACT Testing. So I asked my wife and sshe that was fine with her. I'm shooting for Tuesday evening somewhere around 5pm until 9 or 9:30pm. Most like to put in at Pick Hill for safety reasons like shallow water downstream at the other ramp.

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Well I went down to 99 Island (Pick Hill) Tuesday night but didn't do as well as I had hoped. We seen lots of beavers and a few muskrats. Only caught one little ole redbrest and no cats. I hope to good back soon to fish into the night so I can catch some nice channel cats.

15. CarolinaCatter

CarolinaCatter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey River Rat, this is the old Fastenalfishing. I had to change my user name. I'm ready to go up there. I just need someone to tell me how to get to the ramp. Let me know.

16. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    When are you going? I may can show ya the easiest way to go. For 99 island has two ramps, one on each sida of the river. The best ramp in my opinion is Pick Hill on the Blacksburg side but neither ramp has lights. I'll be out of town Monday and Tuesday but I'll be home Wednesday.

17. CarolinaCatter

CarolinaCatter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i'm ready. Let me know when you get back. We should get a couple of boats to go up there and see what we can do. Maybe we can pinpoint them then. Spread out and check it out.

18. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    We can fish a go ways up river. They have a new sand-dredger above Pick Hill so the water is deeper up that way. Theres several deep pockets along the way from the ramp to the sand bar. Usually minnows work really well but nightcrawlers will catch them to. Cutbait hasn't been as productive as you would think. I might be able Wednesday, I'll let ya know.

19. Weldoman

Weldoman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Fish the submerged trees from Pick hill up to the sand bar with minnows preferably live minnows and the larger size if you can find them. I usually run up the river to the sand bar and work my way back down stopping about casting distance above the tree then casting in front of it and let the current move it back into the tree for me usually on the bottom with a 1/2 to 3/4oz egg sinker about 8-10in above my hook. I dont sit on em too long before I move to the next tree either. Tight lines!

20. Weldoman

Weldoman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    BTW, Thomas, have you heard of anyone gettin gunners(Helgramites)? Or you know if anyone is sellin any? Or where they're gettin em?