Broad River in Cherokee County

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by RiverratSC, Jul 18, 2009.

1. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Duke Energy has been buying a lot of land to build their new nuclear plant. They are also building a new lake to support the plant. I've heard several different reports on how big the lake will be, somewhere from 2500 arces to 9000 acres. I can't see it being 9000 acres because of the elevation, they would either have to lots of digging or have some mighty big dikes to keep it from flooding Cherokee Falls. I guess we'll see in the not so distance future.

2. Gaffney Catman

Gaffney Catman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thomas I heard the new lake is going to go all the way up to Lake Cherokee. They are not going to dam the broad but build a new lake about like Monty.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    That's what I heard to and that's worries me greatly. I know they bought a lot of land on the other side of 329 but haven't heard what they have bought on the Lake Cherokee side yet. If its true the SCDOT will have to build several new roads because it a major trucking route.

4. Gaffney Catman

Gaffney Catman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thomas I know for a fact that the SCDOT has seen the plans for the lake ( I work there now ) . But I dont know what is going to happen down there.

5. rocklover

rocklover New Member

State:
    NC
    I hope they stock it with blues and flatheads!