Broad heads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by kat buster, Aug 12, 2007.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Ok I was wondering what every one was using 4 broad heads there so many out threre with there own speciall abilty and there own nitch. If you could tell me what ones u use and how well they work 4 u. Thank u

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use Rocket Miniblasters. They are the expandable kind of broadheads. It really depends alot on the draw weight of your bow. If you shot a low poundage bow then I don't suggest an expandable broadhead. Sometimes with the low poundage, they won't expand fully which may cause a wounded animal. Everyone wants to make a quick kill. I hope that helps!!

3. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    Magnus fixed 125gr. 2-blade. I have yet to shoot a deer that it didn't pass through. I like the cut on contact type broadheads and the ability to sharpen them. What ever you use, be sure to keep it sharp.

4. hunterchet

hunterchet New Member

State:
    WV
    I like Muzzy. I have never had a problem with one.

5. mcclinj

mcclinj New Member

State:
    Ligonier, PA
    Any thoughts on the Rage expandables? the 2 blade models have a 2" entry hole. Ive seen several of the "pros" using them lately.

-John

6. jpn

jpn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Muzzy Muzzy Muzzy. I have used about every style and kind known to man, well not really but i have tried alot. I like the 4-blade muzzy at 100gr. I did use the delta brand but the flight wasn't just what i wanted. But the new muzzy's are the stickinest put the whamm bamm thank ya put ya butt on the ground in a hurry best choice for me. Hope this helps:smile2:

7. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    First and most important is shot placement. That being said I recomend the Rocket Hammerhead. 2 inches of hemorageing wound channel is what i'm looking for, which relates to quick humane kills!!!!!!!!Period!!!!! I'm also the guy that gets buck fever when a fawn walks by so if I'm a little off on my shot, that extra inch of blade might catch an artery or something.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    been bowhunting sence 1968 and ive tryed lots of browdheads in my time.ive settled on muzzy 100 gran seems to get the jb done.

9. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Muzzy 100gr has worked fine for me.

10. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Muzzy Bad to the Bone!!!!

11. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Before I hurt my shoulder I was a bowhunting nut. I bowhunted from 1972 until 2004. I worked in an archery pro shop for three years. I shot IBO and ASA tournaments and won the Bowhunter of the Year award at our local club. I had access to and shot literally dozens and dozens of broadheads. My broadhead of chioce is the Muzzy 100 grain. I have killed numerous deer and a few hogs with this head and when placed in the kill zone they only went a very short distance. Shot placement is EVERYTHING!!!! I have one Muzzy 110 gr.head in my collection that killed six deer. All I did was change out the blades.

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    the evidence is overwhelming

muzzy dude, you just cant go wrong with 100 grain muzzy. proof is in the pudding.

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Right on! I use Bear Razor Heads and have been since 1975. I've tried several others but I always come back to Bear. They have cleanly killed more then 100 deer for me (and a couple 300#+ hogs) and I can resharpen them in the field if I need to. They almost always give me pass through hits with my 55# recurve. Like the man said, whatever you use, make sure it is very sharp.

14. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    NAP Spitfire expandables..........the first time I checked a deer in that I shot with them, I was accused of shooting it with a gun because there was such big entry and exit holes.........also I have never had a deer go more than 40 yards after being shot with these broadheads.

15. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If i had to pick one it would be the Muzzy 100gr, 4 blade. I have killed alot of critters with them, watched several deer and hogs drop before getting out of sight. But as long as it is razor sharp, it's all personal preference..shot placement is most important.

Good Hunting
    Mike

16. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    MUZZY by far!!!
    Why you ask....True story I was bow hunting in KY had a very mature doe that came at 25 yards and I took the shot. I hit a small branch that I did not see and it deflected my arrow. I hit the doe in the back of the neck and it severed the spine and the arrow came out the doe's mouth and stuck into a oak tree. With all that said the broad head was undamaged and I still use it today. So like it was stated before the proof is in the pudding.

17. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Alot of my hunting buddies shoot muzzy or wasp. I've always shot the Thunderheads, and we could tell any difference in performance in any of the three. I've got some wasps that came with my crossbow, so I'll use them and not worry about it from the performance I've seen.

As long as it has a good cutting area, is very sharp, and will penetrate good, just put it in the right spot and fire up the smoker!

18. Prowler

Prowler New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Muzzy is a very good product I shot the 125 grain 3 & 4 blades for a long time and never had any real complaints........ however I think there is a better product on the market now.....

Montec G5 (its a solid 1 piece 3 blade broadhead) razor sharp, easily resharpenable. I have shot 30+ deer with muzzy's and 8 with the montecs... dont think you can go wrong with either one.

as far as expandable broadheads.... i would not suggest them to anyone. Mind you, I do think there are some solid dependable expandable broadheads out there. BUT there are a lot more expandable broadheads out there that have a better design on catching your eye and getting you to spend your money, than killing an animal.

additionally expandable broadheads can be a "crutch" for poor bow tuning, if for example you are using an incorrectly tuned bow a regular broadhead (which acts as vanes at the front of an arrow) will catch the wind and give you irregular shot placement... people tend to overcome this by putting an expandable on the bow which will not "catch" the wind and will thereby have a better group as compared to a regular broadhead.... sounds like a good thing right?.... truth is its not.. if your arrow is not flying properly to begin with then it will not impact the target in the proper manner... and you will lose much of it's kinetic energy in the process. Since expandables rely on the kinetic energy of the arrow to work.. this can be a recipe for disaster.

With all that said... IF your bow is tuned properly.... AND IF your shooting a SOLID expandable broadhead.. then they do work as claimed.

19. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    k, ill be the odd man out here, i shoot the new 6 blade crimson talons. they have 3 large blades that have a curve to them and 3 smaller bleeder blades. they are, in theory, sopossed to cut a spiral wound channel in game. ive only shot them at targets but, the flight is incredible. i shot one broadhead and one field point one after another and there was almost no difference in flight path. i dont kno about expandebles, ive heard people that swear by them but i dont know if i want to put my trust into them. seems like alot to ask for considering its a matter of wasteing and recovering game. or not hurting dangerous game enough. ill stick with fixed blade.

20. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I was watching a TV show called Hunting University. They were using a 2 blade mechanical broadhead that left a huge gaping entry wound. And I mean huge. I have never seen a broadhead do that. It was like a 3in wound. I looked on their web site and couldn't find it. Shot placement is the most important. There is a no kill zone. Check out this site.
    http://trailcameras.net/hunting-blog/bow-hunting-shot-placement.php