brisket that falls apart with a fork

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by JERMSQUIRM, Sep 24, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    last week i smoked this brisket. its an excel brand. cheap cut with a big fat cap but can melt with some loving in the smoker.

first i scored fat side to allow smoke and rub to penetrate.

i hammered it with rub. mixed garlic powder, cayanne powder, season salt, itialian seasoning, brown sugar and a couple others. and rubbed till coated.

smoked at 225 degrees for 12 hrs with charcoal and apple wood wet chunks.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i smoked it for first 6 hrs fat side up. then flipped for additional 6.

after i let the wood and coals do there magic i wrapped it in aluminum foil two times fully. and put in the oven at 235 for 5 additional hrs. thats was before oven in first pic. placed in oven in foil fat up on cookie sheet.

and after it was done i let it remain in oven cooling slowly for 4 hrs.

the next two pics. well. only thing i needed to make sandwitches. two forks. fell apart.

lil horseradish sauce and chees on a bun. heaven.:wink:

key for a brisket. they have conective tissue thats tough. long cooking at low temps and slow cooling times turnes it into geletin and it becomes soft as butter.

3. jc4thecross

jc4thecross New Member

State:
    Tn.
    Another way is mix paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic, salt, pepper. brown sugar. use these ingredients as a rub cut of the fat and the pockets of fat from your brisket. use the rub and foil the meat put in fridge over night, put in roasting pan with foil sealing it up so flavors stay locked in set oven to 160 degrees for about 6 hours check with meat thermometer. should be done or close to it have grill ready with coals allready burnt down you want low heat foilgrill place brisket in about 30to 40 minutes it will fall apart now fix any kind of sauce you want to dip drizzle or drown.
    JC

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Man I love a good brisket. Ya makin me hungry. :cool2:

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya paprikia was one of the (other ones) couldnt remember all of them here in the shop.

this brisket was wrapped and in the fridge for 2 days before smoking. i usually rub at least the night before. unless its a last min deal. then i let it sit at room temp and add some salt. that draws the juices and lets the seasonings flow.:wink:

thanks.

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Looking good....briskets are my favorite to smoke!!! I recently read a article that the fat cap on a brisket was actually good for you. I can't remember the exact reasoning, I'll try to find it. I do the same as you dry rub or wet rub for two or three days and 12 to 15 hours at around 225. Love that apple wood also, my favorite wood for smoking, light and sweet taste, love it also for chickens, turkey's and fish.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i just posted pics of a pork butt in the "who likes smoking fatties thread" too. two forks. another great sucess on the brinkman.

8. Guido

Guido New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Man that sounds good. I do everything almost the same. Once an hour I like to open up and spray with apple juice. I use walnut wood and smoke for a long time. I will stay up all night and do this every hour. I think the last one I smoked for 16 hours. and the last 4 hours was wrapped in foil. Also while it is cooking I also put in a small pan with apple juice so there is plenty of moisture in my brisket. Man is it good. Theres nothing better than smoked brisket.

9. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Your driving me crazy with brisket
    LOVE the stuff if done right its the best.
    Any body got any recipes for neck meat I know its hard to find anymore but in a stew its the greartest tasting meat you can find.It's another one of those slow cooking meats YUMMMMMM
    Loop

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    After reading this i went to the freezer an gonna let a brisket thaw tonite. Season tomorrow and tomorow nite it goes on the smoker. From what i'm readin long and slow cooking is best. Think i'll use a lil' bit of all ya'lls advise and see what happens.I cut a bunch of cherry last week and think i'll try that and some charcoal.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya guido. i mopped it. forgot about that. i used 1/2 cup of apple juice and added 1/3 cup maple syrup and minced garlic. couple spoons full. brushed it on about every 3 hrs after it had cooked for the first 4.

john. sloooooooowwwwwwwwwwww. and loooooooooooooowwwwwwww.

and if your using a charcoal smoker you can finish like i did. after its smoked for 10-15 hrs it can be foiled and placed in oven for the rest of the time. just keep it under 250. and it will melt that tough tissue down.

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brisket is about my Favorite cut to smoke. I ain't got it down yet ,but every time they get better. Mine are very good ,but some end up a bit on the chewy side,But since I started using foil or oven bags for the last several hrs ,they are fork tender.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i had a few chewy ones too. from the same plant this one came from. till i cooked it longer. that conective tissue can be though. but after 16hrs. its like jelly.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jeremy,you are right. It just took a while to sink in,My mom allways cooked em in the oven,tender ,BUT BURNT TO A CRISP:crazy::smile2:I knew they needed cooking longer ,But never thought on just how to keep them from drying out and burning up,Till I just had a brainstorm one day.

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeremy you have succeeded in making me hungry. Is there any property for sale close to you? I want to get close to your cooking.