Brining Solution

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by laidbck111, Oct 3, 2006.

1. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

OK folks I need some help. Is there a special salt/solution I need to brine some mullet? If not does anyone know the proper ratio for mixing salt:water? All help would be great

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Benji. well its been a while sienci I Brined any fise but if Me memory serves me right I beilve it was #1 pound of brining and pickeling salt to 1 gallon of water. You can get the brining and pickleing salt at most any grocery store. now fish accept the brine Quickly and if your planning on smokeing the mullet over night in the fridge is plenty. another trick i would use is take about 3 tablespoons of liquid smoke to the brine and it gives it a nice mellow flavor. your friend J.D.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Thanks JD. I am not wanting to smoke them are anything, just trying to get them back home from the coast. I tried to bring back a couple dozen on ice and they went bad before I could get them home. I thought brine salt would help combined with the ice and water untill I get them home and in the freezer.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Hello Benji, The 1# to 1 gal. ratio will work fine to keep them fresh. I'm sure you know to only use kosher(non-iodized) Salt.

We do it all the time for both salt & freshwater baits

5. BEERMAN

BEERMAN New Member

State:
    va.
    3 to 1 is a good start, water and salt and a lot of ICE make it like a slushy, this toughtins up the bait plus and preserves it.

6. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Speaking of mullet, has anyone ever tried it as a cut bait for catfish?

7. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    try just salting it. we use kosher salt and lay down a foundation of it then place the bait down and cover it with more salt and keep alternating until you have enough bait. let this sit for at least 12 -24 hrs in the fridge and then drain the liquid off of the container and give it another 12-24hrs now you have salted bait that as long as it is kept cool and dry is good to go.