bring them back

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by catfishscotty, Jan 25, 2008.

1. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i was thinking of starting a poll if the missouri conservation dept is gonna bring back noodeling. allready in a couple rivers this has been done i would like to see them bring back the use of spoonbill eggs and liver to be legal bait again. I used them for years in the spring until they outlawed them :angry::angry: and i gaurentee will outfish shad from end of march to may below truman dam in the river when they are running water back in the 80s to early 90s some days was so good 1 pole is all you could keep up with . and im not the only one who was using them and having great success.

anybody else ever use them and would like to see them made legal again ?????

2. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I would like some more info on the bait.bro
    it sounds cool.

3. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    well in the osage river spoonbill is fishing is very good and they are a large fish 100 lb plus. with 50 to 70 lb fish common . they have huge amount of eggs in them like 2 footballs side by side size . they eggs when in the water put out alot of milk looking fluid and oil and the cats lovem !!!!!!!!! and the spoonbill liver!!! several guys i know including myself have easily caught 300lb plus days fishing with them from 1 lb up to 70 lbs maybe even bigger alot of the local guys used them back then on rod and reel and trott lines most on rod and reel tho because snagging season was in and a trott line didnt stand a chance with all the snaggers most had enough sence not to trott line until snagging was over. and the best thing about the eggs is you could freeze them and they worked just as good as fresh:big_smile:. now we cant use them they just get throwed back into the water and on the banks. so i would like to see them made legal again.

4. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Scott
    I will agree with you on using the Spoonbill parts for bait as lone as it was taken by all legal requirments. You might as well use the eggs for bait rather than throwing them in the water. I doin't like the ideal of noodling, its done while the fish are on the nest with there eggs. Some of our fish have closed seasons to protect them while they are sponing. Why not protect the flat heads also, we are seeing lower numbers of them allthe time. I vote no on noodling.

5. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    no no i didnt mean i aprove of noodeling just that if the conservation dept thinks its ok to bring back something they outlawed well bring back the spoonbill eggs also is what i mean . how can they aprove of bringing back 1 thing and not the other !!!!!!!:wink:

6. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thank you for the info Scott.:cool2:
    Here in south east Georgia,the old timers called it coonin, because they said you look like a raccoon poking his hands in every hole looking for a fish, now everyone calls it noodling???
    time do go by fast,bro

7. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have never used spoonbill eggs for bait but i could see where they might work realy well....i am going to have to check the regs in this area a find out if its leagel or not?

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I saw a dead spoonbill, probably 60+ pounds, floating in the spillway there once. There were several blue cats on the surface trying to pull a chunk off, and one of those catfish was bigger than the spoonbill - figure it was close to 100lbs. :0a23:

9. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Well, since snagging paddlefish (whose females only spawn once every 4-7 years, btw) is legal then I don't see why using their liver is illegal. I can legally use other species' liver when fishing for catfish, so why not paddlefish? Perhaps the relative scarcity of the paddlefish liver in the food supply is the reason for its supposed effectiveness. The reason I say "supposed" is that I've never used it myself.

It's also possible that the combination of their infrequent spawning behavior and the potency of their liver as bait are responsible for the ban. In other words, if using their liver was legal AND effective, perhaps there'd be many more harvested. Just a thought.

10. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    :smile2:Where can I buy some spooncat eggs, would like to have 2 gal or better.
    what is the best. way to fish and keep them, March will be here befor you know it.
    Earl or Scotty do you have any extra. I'll pick them up, just state price, I'am not rich now. Would apprecate It.

11. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

2 ways to fish them is using a treble hook and cut a section of the eggs off then use thread about a foot and a half long and wrap them on the hook with thread. the other way is to use panty hose or cheese cloth put some eggs in them tie it shut then u can run your hook threw it using J or circle or kahle hooks. as far as keeping them just put some in a zip lock or vaccum pack them and freeze em. :wink:

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

I personally hope the Department Of Conservation does NOT bring back noodling. We are already being hammered by the commercial folks in the amount of catfish that are being taken from our rivers, and taking fish by hand right off of their spawning beds is only going to exacerbate the problem.

As for the use of spoonbill eggs, and other parts for bait, I dont know enough about the laws and regulations to warrant an opinion. The MODOC has snagging seasons set in place to harvest spoonbill paddlefish, so If you have a legally obtained spoonbill, I personally dont see a reason you shouldnt be able to use the resource as you see fit. Of course, that is subject to interpretation by the lawmakers. I'm curious as to see how the law applys to the use of spoonbill as a baitsource if it is legally obtained. MR T?

I do know that the Departments concerns over spoonbill eggs is that they are being sold on the black market to overseas interest whereas they are bringing substantial prices for use as a cavear.

I suppose I'll have to hold judgement until I'm a little more knowledgable about the subject.

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I know that after the first few weeks of snagging season, you can catch the heck out of catfish right by the cleaning stations. Never caught anything big doing that, but caught a bunch of eaters.

Spoonbill parts should be LEGAL to use for bait as long as the fish was snagged during season legally. It's a shame to see all of those eggs going to waste like that.

14. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

well the conservation dept did bring it back for a trial run in 2 different rivers the past year if not 2 so why dont ya call them and give them your thoughts about it. while your on the phone with them tell scotty said bring back spoonbill eggs and liver !!!!! if they find any in my boat im probably the only red neck that likes CAVEAR SANDWICH mmmmm mmmm good lunch.

15. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

:big_smile: AMEN SETH my point exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! reps to you:wink:

16. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'll take that one...

"3 CSR 10-6.525 Paddlefish
    (6) Paddlefish, or parts thereof (including
    eggs), may not be used for bait"

Although I can't explain the reasons, which I'm also curious about.

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    That answers that in the state of Missouri. Thanks Gary for the effort. If anyone has an interest, I'm sure you can call the Department Of Conservation and get a synopsis of why the law was put into place.

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

The Missouri Department Of Conservation is well aware of my stance regarding the protection of our Catfish fisheries. In fact, right now they are working diligently to ensure that all of the regulations regarding commercial fisherman, net placements, harvest rates etc are being adhered to.

As for spoonbill, like I said I dont know enough about the subject to warrant an opinion either way. I know they have a season to legally obtain them, yet its illegal to use them for bait. If you feel this law is unjust, or unfair, you have the right to to try and get the law repealed. IF there is enough support for your cause, you just might be successfull in having a law changed.

I'll reserve judgement until I know why the law was put into effect in the first place.

19. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    perhalps to not encorage wanton waste. If you make spoonbill parts legal for bait I would reason to guess there would be a lot of folks who would go snag them just to use the eggs and dispose of the rest of the carcuss.

20. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO