Brine a bluegill?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by daredevle, Aug 30, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    has antone ever brine a bluegill if so tell me how i dont know how:confused2:any way thanks

2. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hello nobody brines a bkuegill hello HELP:angry::eek:oooh:

3. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What do you mean by BRINEING a Blugill????...Never heard of that :confused2:

4. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    This is the first I have heard of brining a bluegill, don't know exactly what you mean.

5. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i thought there was a special way to freeze a fish called brineing and i thought some one new how to do it

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    uhhh i have never heard of it. i just put mine in freezer bags, squeeze all of the air out and freeze them. if you thaw them out and they fall apart, well then you have some good chum i guess. :roll_eyes:

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I just freeze mine in plastic baggies. Just try and put them on ice when they're still alive. Then as soon as you get home freeze them. When you thaw them out they'll be just as good as fresh bait if you use them within a month or so. It works for me. I've caught some nice channel cats as well as some nice flatheads on the cut frozen gills as well.

8. hossdaniels

hossdaniels New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have brined catfish for eating. Just put a cup of salt and a cup of sugar in a gallon of water and let it sit over night. Then smoke it for a couple of hours and eat. It wasn't really that good, shoulda fried it, but maybe the fish will like it?

9. BEERMAN

BEERMAN New Member

State:
    va.
    rock salt and anis oil in water just like you do to make home made ice cream, the salt will preserve them for years, check out pro cure brining it is the best. procure.com

10. BEERMAN

BEERMAN New Member

State:
    va.
    google it there are some very good artiles on brining bait, getting ready to do some shad bait myself, as soom as my PRO CURE brining comes in. hope this helps.

11. altcatmaster

altcatmaster New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Daredevle I suppose what you are thinking about is a way of preserving your catch to use as bait. All you need to do is put one cup coarse ground (non-iodized) kosher or sea type salt in a gallon of water, what I like to do is once the salt is dissolved put the bream in the water alive then once they have injested the water I place them in gallon freezer bags and put them in the deep freezer (It freezes them harder than the freezer on a fridge) when you are ready to use them (which I use in traps) thaw them out in the freezer bags with the salt water and they are ready to fish with as cut bait or even whole on trot or limb lines. Hope that helps or atleast remotely answers your question....