Briggs & Stratton

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Swampy, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    now makes 5HP 4/S outboard motors. Do any of you know anything about them?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    add a couple of more bucks and buy a real 5 hp outboard you will be happier down the road unless you like loud under powered lawn mower engines on your boat 2 of my buddies for thier little boats bought them and got rid of them within 5 months of buying. they run fine just loud and not enough power

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I had an air cooled Sears 5 hp, made by Eska, once. Hung it on a 12 ft deep and wide flatbottom. It did ok if the wind wasn't blowing too hard, but it constantly broke shear pins when hitting the least little obstruction. As for noise, it wasn't bad, but it was a 2 cycle and had a pretty decent cowling over the motor. Air cooled engines, by their nature, are going to be louder than water cooled...remember the old VW bug?

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Thanks guy's. I wasn't looking into buying one was just wonder if anyone knew anything about them. I didn't knew B & S made them until a few days ago.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've got one, not a bad outboard for the money. It's probably a little louder than a comparable water cooled outboard, but not that much. I've hit all kinds of stuff with it without doing any damage to the shear cone, and I've plowed through enough sand that my prop is wearing down

It's good for the muddy streams around here, and it eliminates the water pump issues that most people seem to have. It is not recommended for salt water use. It's 5hp.. Don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry.

One of these days I'll probably get a bigger boat, but I'll try to keep the 5hp around as a kicker / emergency backup.

7. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    my buddy bought one without doing much research on it and he isn't very pleased with it for one main reason: it does not stay up / or out of the water without holding it in position, it doesn't have a latch or hinge to hold it in place when you pull it up. So if you are going through shallow, rocky, or log infested water you have to hold up the motor by hand the whole time until you are safe to put it down again. In small rivers I spend more time paddling up front while he is holding up the motor in back....not fun. I have no need for one thanks to my new mercury...but I would not recommend it unless they redesign this feature.