Briggs & Stratton 5 HP Model 132212

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Wally, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    B/S 5 HP Model 132212
    This motor is mounted on a DR wood chipper. It has sat unprotected for quite some time. New gas, new oil. Pulled and pulled, would not start . Starter fluid down the carb, RUMMMMM, cough, cough, died. Tried this several times. No gas getting through the carb. Pushed out to the back yard for another year.
    Now all kind of OILY GUNK (Looks like oil and water) MUD ???comming back out of the carb. A BUNCH !!This GUNK is comming out of a spot on the side of the block that had a "TUBE " running to the carb.
    I thought that line was a fuel line. or is it a vent??? Does that carb pick up stright up from the fuel tank ???!What do I need to do other than setting fire to the thing ??? Put new oil in it and new fuel...AGAIN !!! Still won't start!!! Plenty of fire off the plug.

Thanks Wally

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    if the carb is bolted to the top of the gas tank,and sits flat on the tank , there is a good chance it has a pickup tube going into the tank , also a small reservoir inside the tank with another tube going to it .................... lots and lots of times , that long tube going into the tank will gum up with old gas....there is a screen on the bottom of the tube with a head on it a wrench will fit ... for unscrewing the screen out of the tube for replacement .... ... those screens can be replaced real easy.... while u are replacing stuff , check the diaphram on the carb .... it may need fixing too ..... the pipe from the carb to the block needs to have good rubber on it too ........................ good luck

3. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Thanks Steve, I think that is the problem. Will work on it this week!!!

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    You might have water in the oil, or the gas has gone into the crankcase and caused it to be over full. You should first check the oil and if it is overfull, and or has gas or water in it, drain the block. The tube you see going into the carb is Briggs version of a PCV valve, if you have ugly looking stuff going onto your carb, it would be from an overfull crankcase. The Gas problem can be resolved by cleaning the carb, this is a simple operation, and can be done with a minimum of tools. I use a Qtip to clean the needlevalve port. Also make sure the bolt/jet combo which holds the carb bowl on is clean, in particular check the openings to make sure they are open, if not a Tip cleaner set works great ( used for acetelene Torch set). I should point out that a trash bag over the engine is a wonderful thing. I don't know how it does it, but water finds it's way in to a motor if it has set to long. Hope this helps, if not PM me and I'll try to get you thru it all. Later Andy