Briggs Boat Motor

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bullfoot, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was wondering if anyone has used the 5hp Briggs Outboard motor that they are selling in Cabelas and Bass Pro? Any info would be great. Thanks for the help.

2. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Had one on the 14 foot I sold. It's noisy and vibrates a lot, and you have to watch the lower unit, the aluminum casting is not designed for any abuse. Mine ran about 8 mph on the GPS with just me in the boat. Runs almost forever on a gallon of unleaded.

Nice for fishing ponds, small lakes, backwaters, no water pump to suck up sand and grit and you get lots of strange looks at the ramp while it's idling on the trailer out of the water:smile2:

3. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the info. The reviews that I have read all say that they are noisy, but for the price i like what i have heard.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I had one too, just sold the boat and motor on Sunday.

It was a tad on the noisy side, but no worse than some of the older 2 strokes around. It ran forever on a gallon of gas, and my top speed was about 8-9mph too. I could run really shallow my tilting up up until the prop was barely in the water, with no worries about the water intake like you would have on a water cooled engine.

My biggest gripe was that there was no way to lock it upright, which could be a pain when trying to launch it from the bank in shallow water when the prop and lower unit would dig into the mud.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Funny, I saw one at the river this weekend for the first time. Cute little thing. And when he revved it up to go, sounded just like a go cart!

Are they cheap?

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I think they run $700-$800 new.

7. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Last time I was at Cabelas, they had 5 or 6 in the bargain cave, returned for problems. The guy there said they get a lot back,.. that turned me off.

8. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the input guys its really helpful.:big_smile:

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You shop around you should be able to pick up a used Johnson/Evinrude/Mercury for the same price and it would be a lot better motor.