briggs and stratton motor

Discussion in 'Boating' started by tegukeeper, Jan 20, 2008.

1. tegukeeper

tegukeeper New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    just wanting to know if this little motor is worth the money. I have a 14 foot flat bottom john boat its an older boat and is kinda narrow. I cordell hull and dale hallow lakes and a few mid size rivers. Any info about this motor would help and thanks for reading

2. mcal762

mcal762 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hello,
    i had a B&S 5hp motor on my 12ft low jon and it did ok. My max speed was about 15mph with two average persons. It runs good, easy to start, air cooled and is good on gas 1/2 gallon per hour at full power. The only this is i felt a little underpowered with it.
    good luck,
    Mike

3. tegukeeper

tegukeeper New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks for the reply i usally have my wife and kid with me so it sounds like i might have to find a little bit bigger motor

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you going to have any one with you I would opt for a 2 stroke water cooled engine. That briggs is way to loud to hear any one else in the boat.

5. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    I have heard alot of good things and very few bad things about the Briggs 5hp. It is definately alot louder than a two stroke. Being air cooled means you dont have to worry about the water pump going out or getting plugged because there isn't one. No mixing of oil and gas with the 4 stroke also. Pros and cons, do your homework and you'll be o.k.:wink:

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    never heard of a b&s boat motor

7. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    My little buddy martinman(Ryan) from AZ had one on his 12' lowe always knew when he was coming up up the river cuz it sounded like someone running a rototiller:smile2:, kinda big and heavy for a small boat and not very fast, he ended up getting a 8hp 2 cycle just about doubled his speed

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've seen them both in the store and on the water, but didn't pay much attention. This thread got me wondering, though, could a guy just fab up a longer exhaust pipe to go under water to quiet it down some?

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Do some searching around you should be able to find a good 2 stroke somewhere. Also check some local boat dealers that work on older boats , sometimes they could have a good deal just lying around on a outboard.

10. kfloyd

kfloyd New Member

State:
    mississippi
    very loud:crazy:

11. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Just make sure you aren't going in any salty or brackish water with it. Apparently they dont have as much corrosion protection as a regular outboard. It says right on most of the ads not for saltwater.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I’ve had one of the little Briggs and Stratton outboards for several years now. When it is discussed here the “noise” factor always comes up. Fair enough, it’s not going to win any quiet awards, but I don’t think it is as loud as you might be led to believe if you read here and the other threads that have come up asking about it. I’ll try to put it in perspective…

When I’m in the boat, I’m always stuck about 2 feet from it, with my hand on the tiller, so it seems a little loud, but so do a lot of 2 strokes.. Truth is, I’ve never heard it from a distance. But last year I had it at the Keystone Gathering, and had a couple of people come up to me and ask about it. There comment was that they saw me coming in across the cove, and they were surprised how quiet it was.. Their take was that it was no worse than an average 2 stroke, despite what they had heard about it prior to that. Same thing happened at the boat ramp on the river, the guy who was launching told me he thought it was quieter than his older 2 stroke.

Don’t take me wrong – if you want a quiet outboard, get a water cooled 4 stroke, and even most new 2 strokes are probably a little quieter. But don’t buy into the “loud as a lawnmower” stuff, either. Believe me, if mine were as load as my lawnmower, which is a 2 year old Biggs and Stratton 4 stroke itself, I’d be embarrassed to take it on the water.

Now, getting past the “noise” factor…

What I like about the Briggs:
    • You can lift it up and run through really shallow water without worrying about a water intake coming out of the water.
    • You don’t have to worry about a water pump failing, or an intake getting fouled with mud or sand.
    • It was cheap, and gets good fuel mileage
    • Can be repaired at most lawn mower shops

What I don’t like:
    • There is no way to lock it in the up position – a major pain in the butt at times.
    • Does not handle salt water
    • Can’t be repaired at most outboard repair shops.
    • Not the quietest motor on the water
    • Don't expect to win any races

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    First time I ever saw one. I heard it coming from way down the kansas river. Sounds just like the brigs lawn mower motor. I'm sure it's the same motor actully.

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If this little motor is capable of 15mph with 2 men ...I would keep it. I had a nine 1/2 johnson that wouldn't run 5 mph on a good current day..LOL