Briggs and Stratton 5HP

Discussion in 'Boating' started by grillking, May 22, 2007.

1. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    does anyone know anything about this motor? I've read a little about it. Got a 14' jon. Don't fish big water or rivers. Wonder if this would be a good buy or not. Any input appreciated. New to the site! LOVE IT!

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    I havnt had one but I have heard a lot of my fishing buddies say they would never own another one they was really dissapointed in them

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I picked up a 1983 two stroke 5 HP Suzuki twin for $300.00. It was well loved and cared for and rarely used. Looks like brand new.

If you want an outboard get an outboard. If you want a lawnmower.....well mud motors with four stroke air cooled engines have a longer and better history.

JMHO

YMMV

4. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    GrillKing, I have a 5hp Briggs and Stratton on my 14 foot jon boat. The boat weighs 205 pounds, so if you have a riveted boat you may have different results as they are much lighter. The boat does fairly well when I'm by myself until I start to get more than 320-350 pounds of people on board + motor (56lb.).

The motor is great and very, very easy to maintain, and starts on the 2nd-3rd pull every time, but I regret getting only a 5hp, as now with more weight on board it struggles to get on plane. I bought a hydrofioil fin and it helped somewhat, but I really regret not just looking to buy a decently used 15-20hp for twice the price and twice the speed.

If the area you fish is quite small, it's a pretty good buy. If you need to go a few miles to fish, I'd look into a bigger used motor.