Briggs and Stratton 5hp

Discussion in 'Boating' started by BILLYP, Feb 22, 2007.

1. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    The briggs and stratton 5 hp is a short shaft air cooled outboard. My question is could you use it on a 20 in transom since it doesn't rely on the water to circulate through the motor?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Log as the prop is under the water it should work. One thing about that motor... it is a lawn mower, and it sounds like a lawn mower. Get some good ear plugs.

3. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I should work as AwShucks says .One thing about those is you can tell what it is a mile away sounds like someone is mowing the lake .They do work good and seem to be pretty reliable.

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    The Briggs outboard is designed for 15" transoms. If you put it on a 20" transom it will be even more of a slug than it is on a proper size boat. For the prop to move water properly it should be below the bottom of the transom. It would not be hard to get a small jack plate welded to set it at the proper level but I don't know how that would affect the tiller operation. If you are thinking about it on your 14' fiberglass boat I don't think you will set any speed records in any case.

5. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    good point about the tiller handel I though about getting a jack plate, but I didn't think about the tiller handel. Thank You. No it a friends boat, but he has the same style boat as mine, but mine was freeee.

6. cjb10876

cjb10876 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I just bought one at Cabela's a few weeks ago and asked Briggs and Stratton (via e-mail on their web site) what the range of transon heights would be. I have a 14' Grumman semi-v with a 16" transom and my cousin has a 14' Starcraft deep-v (I don't know what his transom height is yet). I was wondering if we could use my motor on either boat. The response I got from the Briggs and Stratton rep was that the motor is 17.5" from the clamp to the cavitation plate, so I think 17.5" is about as deep a transom as you would want to use it on. I don't think you would get much if any performance if 2.5" of prop is hiding behind your hull. I haven't had it in the water yet, but I'll post a report of how it works.

7. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    check your local law because some state require that all motors to have under water exhaust and i dont think the briggs has one

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can take that same money and find something alot more suited for your needs used and in good condition. Double the money and you got something brand new. A real boat motor.

Nothing like sitting on a peaceful river , real quiet excep for the birds and in the middle of nowhere and here comes a lawn mower. For about 5 minutes you ask each other What is that noise?
    Finally the thing breaks out around a bend and you both grab for the shotgun at the same time.

9. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    I take it most of you don't like the Briggs & Stratton motor, then? Thanks for the advice, because the price is so good, I was considering one (if and when the money comes available).

10. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    see thats my problem also money is a big factor. I've been saving up for about 4 months now and only have about 1000.00 so that woudl put me into a briggs. Thats the most hp for that kind of money. I don't know if I m going to get it yet though. I might wait until my bossman gives me a bonus next month, but that take my boat away for another month. I don't konw if I can stand that.

11. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Actually there pretty good little motor's and seem to hold up well there just a little loud and sound like a lawn mower is all .If you can put up with those thing's I see nothing wrong with them.

12. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I bet if you call marinas and boat dealerships around where you live you can find good motor. for right price. briggs motor will work but I don't think you would be happy with it after a couple fishing trips. but I don't know where or how far you fish from dock but there are used motors that would be more fitting. for $1000 you are coiming close to boat and motor if you buy used. alot money if you buy wrong boat or wrong motor. jmo
    I have been through it and resale value on boats not great so try to get as close to what you want to start with. good luck. see you on the water!

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have talked to several people who has a Brig and they all say that they are good motors and they like them if thats what you want get it

14. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for pointing out the noise issue. I have a 30 Hp motor on my boat and a lot of the lakes and pits around here have a 10 HP limit. I was looking at the B&S as a kicker now I know it's not what I want. I think I'll stay with my "Endura 55" trolling motor for now. It doesn't get me around fast but it does get me around.
    This is just one of the things that makes the BOC great. It and your info just kept me from buying something I wouldn't have been happy with.

Wooly

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I could live with the motor itself on a jon boat but what I cant live with is the price. The price is up there around where you can start picking up some decent used outboard motors or an entire rig somebody wants shed of.

16. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Good things come to those who wait. I'd wait for enough money to get a real probably used boat motor. If i see any for sale ill let u know.

17. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I started out boating with the old Sears outboards. I think Tecumseh made them. The uppers were air cooled and the lower leg and exhausts were water cooled. Pretty good combo for an engine designed to be removed from the boat each time you used it and put in the car trunk or back of a pickup. They were light, fairly quiet, and had reasonable power for their size.
    The only advantage I can see for the new Briggs engines are that Briggs dealers are supposed to work on them (read lawnmower shops) and they could probably run in trashy areas that might be death to a water cooled engine. If you are gonna run an industrial type engine with an above the water muffler that doesn't need a water pump you might want to look at a mud motor. More flexible than the Briggs for serious swamp work but without gears, reverse or neutral.
    As others have said, for the money you could pick up a nice regular outboard if you are careful and know what to look out for in a used engine.

18. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So what happens if you run a briggs with the muffler under water?

19. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Given the position of the muffler, high on the side of the upper engine, that would be a good trick. The engine would have to be upside down.

LOL

20. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Can't run flex tailpipe or weld your own exhaust pipe?I've seen guys use L's to run exhaust under a lawnmower.