briggs 5 hrse

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by mustad1, Apr 8, 2008.

1. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I need a briggs 5 horse motor. gotta old flat stern canoe and need a motor for it. I have always depended on briggs and stratton to be a good motor.
    Help me out brothers!!!

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Since yer from Iowa,I'll help ya...go buy one!:0a26:

Just kidding,look local,it will be warming up and people will be buying new stuff and selling off their old.
    Shipping or the cost of driving 500 miles to get a deal will about negate any savings of buying a used one.

3. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was lookin for a used one!!! Gees....thanks for the help. hehehe:smile2:

4. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    oh by the way, i will be living in Mo starting next week!! I called smithville marine and they had a 4hrse mariner 2 stroke for $500. might check it out next week.

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Those 5 h/p b&s cost about that new, id go new!

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The Briggs compared to the Mariner is an air cooled 4 stroke. It will be a little noisier and run a little warmer than the water cooled motor. Another thing to be aware of is that the Briggs does not lock in the upright position like most small outboards.

The air cooled Briggs can be an advantage in places like the shallow sections of the Kansas River, as you don't have to worry about clogging a water pump, and you can tilt it most of the way out of the water to run very shallow with no worries about a water inlet getting starved... but it sure would be nice if it locked upright like the Mariner for when you do get stuck in the sand.

The Cabelas Bargain Cave usually has a couple of the Briggs motors sitting there, but I haven't looked at the prices lately. I just sold one a few weeks ago, but it went with my little boat and trailer as a package deal.

I'd recommend the Mariner at that price unless you expect to plow through a lot of sand.

7. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thanks for the comparison. did not think about it not latching up. i just cant seem to find a used one. they are sooooo pricey. dont really wanna get into a 20 year old motor though as i plan ot leave the paddles at home..hehe gotta have room for jugs, trotlines, bait buckets, fishing rods, and maybe even a kid or two.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    I've called them a lot of things like $%^#@ and )^&%# and $(*$^%

I'm just saying:0a26:

9. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thanks for the warning. do they had a slaesman by the name of Ben Dover there?

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I went there a couple of years ago, looking for my first boat. Told the guy I just wanted a small jon to fish out of. Told the guy what I was looking to spend (admittedly not much, between $2500 and $3000) and all of a sudden I was wasting his time. He had the yard guy bring up a 12' v-bottom, no motor, no seats, about 3' wide, and told me I could have it for the low, low price of $1200.

If I need a part and don't have time to go anywhere else, I'll buy a part there, but that's it.

Just my experience, but I really have no patience for businesses/sales people who forget that a little bit of something is better than a whole bunch of nothing.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Its been years since I been there,had 2 bad experiences in 1 week.The second one was when I went to a Mgr. to try and correct the first problem.

I really don't like to bad mouth a business on the net/they might have changed in the 3 years that have past-and I'm sure there are some good hard working people there-I just won't go back to find out:0a19:I'll shut up now

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Same here, their parts department is great, that guy has helped me out a lot and I'm sure that I probably caught the guy I dealt with on a bad day. But I'll still deal with Larry over in Napoleon or U.S. Boatworks when I need work done:wink: