Bridge Pillars relating flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Goldenshinner, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

ok, i have been interested in fishing pillars for a long time. we tried a few times but it seemed most bridges we tried would always have old concreate and rebar to snag on. in one instance several pals tied two conoes together anchored and slept just upstream of one(pillar) only to wake as the whole mess of canoes anchore rope, rods lines twisted and knoted (from the boat turning slowly during the night) , and the whole boat nearly went under. this could have been bad as it was a high current spot. at any rate not to get side tracked, im still interested in any thoughts on targeting and or approaching such structure. any pointers, im thinking heavy bottom rig with break away. what sayeth the board?

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

Stay up current from the area and pitch a slip bobber rig a bit up from your target and let it flow into your targetted area. With a break away or any other bottom rig you run the risk of snags in areas such as those. Fihing a slip bobber in areas such as those you lesson your chances of snags and or fish beaking your line on the structure on bottom.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    You may wish to fish the other "dead" area behind the pillar.Fish congregate both in front and behind the pillar.The slip bobber is a good idea but dont be afraid to throw a botom rig in there also.Just dont throw it right up against the pillar where the construction rubble is.If the flathead is hungry he will come upstream to get your bait.Your breakaway idea is also good.:big_smile:

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I fish bridge pillars and train tressels. During a flood or high water period, debri like logs and trees will float downriver and eventually get congregated in front of these pilings and tressels which makes prime flathead habitat. Also, these pilings and tressels are undercut which makes for prime flathead habitat. The pilings and treesels itself act as a current break for the flatheads. Don't be afraid to fish both behind and in front of the pilings.

I dish from the bank and just cast out. If I had a boat, I would be able to fish the other side of the pilings next to the river channel which I know would giver me better and bigger results.

Good luck!

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    if your loosing rigs your in the rite spot. lol the board has given you good advise so far.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    YES! The bridge pilings I fish are super-duper snaggy! I can ALWAYS plan on loosing at least 3 to 6 rigs per session. In fact, I plan on starting to use the 3 way-swivel rig with a break-off sinker instead of the carolina rigged and no-roll.

At times if I get snagged up, I don't break the line. I simply leave it be and eventually a flathead will hit the bait and pull it free.

There are also times I get snagged up on purpose just to ensure a bite.

I have lost hundreds of fish doing this "get snagged-up" method but sometimes I am able to pull one free. Again, i fish from the bank so I know having a boat anchored up on top of it would lower my snagg up- percentage and raise my landing percentage.

Last recommendation would be using mono instead of braid. My landing percentage has gone way up since i swith form braid to mono.

7. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

that sounds alot like a spot and strategy i used to do here localy. i would cast upstream let and try to reel it in such that it would anchor at just the right position in a particular ledge. if the bait got just on the edge of that pot of gold, i knew i had a good chance of getting a fish, as every fish i ever got at that streach in the river came just on that edge! and i too would go down with (in my case) a bucket full of wieghts!!!!

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I sure wish I had some of those here.....

9. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

thought id give y all a heads up on my experimentations.draged the gear and some people down to grind out the details of this type of fishing. we tried the pillings above below and beside the pilings, we purposely chose one with current and a hole associated with it. no luck, i think we had an actual run but didnt mark the bait up. bait that was taken was a bull. other ah ah huum laaarger baits i think also swam by(ha ha) with not much results. it might be that localy our bite is slowing as we are just on the verge of fall lake water temps i think are droping, actualy the river water temp i think rose slightly as a result of two weeks rain, but it will be falling otherwise.....so not sure. oh and we treid both bobers and bottom rigs. im not giving up as this wasnt a sufficient enough experment to tell me anything. i also need a wider variety of bridges to experment with.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Stephen,

I have the best results when there is moderate to little current. When the rive is up and ripping like after a rain, it doesn't produc e as much.

I forgot to tell you that in my experience fishing bridge pilings, it's good for numbers but not quality fish.

Good luck bro in your quest!