Bridge Pier Fishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by back channel, Feb 20, 2008.

1. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    First, I am not that experienced with flathead fishing although I have got a few.

How would you fish this situation? What type of rig would be best?

Second, I fish from the bank.

At one of my spots There is a bridge pier probably 25-35 yards out. I know it holds a lot of fish. From the edge of the water to the bridge pier it runs shallow to 5 or 6 feet deep with a highly rocky bottom (more like 80-90 pound rocks). Then about 7 yards from the pier there is a huge drop off to about 17 feet. This is were the fish hold. However, exactly to the left of it there is a under water pipe line that is huge. I brought a piece of it in.

Here is the problem. Any cast that is made gets you snaged automatically. At the drop off there is heavy current which does not help either. I know there is a lot of fish but due to snag city it is tough.

What type of rig wopuld be best in this situation?

I do fish both spinning and casting with a little higher ratio reels to help the retrieve not to get hanged up about 5:1.

Rods: Spinning tiger and catfish safari river rod
    Reels: Penn cativa live liner and abu black cat.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Scott

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How are you fishing it now? Tightlining on the bottom? You might want to try a slip bobber rig.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Have you ever seen a planer board?
    They are mostly used on boats to get lines away from your boat when trolling.
    They will work while still fishing in current.
    Might just work to get your bait into position.
    Ain't gonna help after you hook a bigun. You'll still have to get him out of the rocks.

You can find plans to build a good sized one by googling planer board.
    I watched a fishing show on the Outdoor Channel one time where a big time sport fishing writer used one to bank fish a river near Chicago.
    I've been looking for that spot of yours for a long time so I can try the one I built.

good luck
    just

4. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    You can try a rig with weight on bottom tied from swivel with light (about 10 lb diameter line) with heavier line above swivel and hook sliding free so bait can run up and down the line. When fish takes bait the weight will pull off if caught in rocks but you stand a fighting chance to get the fish out!

5. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    That's what I would do. Use a 3 way swivel and tie light line to your sinker.

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    That outdoor writer was Dan Gapen on Midwest outdoors magazine's TV show.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Danny has a good idea 3 way swivel with sinker on light line on bottom

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I would use some of Gene's WildWolf bobbers above a three way rig anchored by a heavy sinker on lighter line than your hook leader.

9. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Well if your not casting far you can put a 6 or 8 oz sinker on say 4 pound line on a 3 way with the heavier line holding the hook. they have to do the same thing in hawaii when shore fishing certain areas and it work great. The only draw back is unless you make your own sinkers, its gonna cost ya a wee bit. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide and how it works

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    that just sounds like a bad deal there, back channel. bobber rigs would be the only way to keep out of the rocks. if you know it holds fish find some free lead and fish it reclessly! lol

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    In situations were you are guaranteed to get snagged 100% of the time, I use what I call the DONATION RIG which consist of a 3-way swivel. Tie 8 to 10 pound line to the weight. WHEN you get snagged, you get you rig back, but DONATE your weight.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Shoot, if you're just gonna lose them on every cast, use an 'improvised' sinker instead of wasting expensive lead. I've used rocks, spark plugs, pieces of scrap iron, etc. You could even mold some sinkers using concrete.

13. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i know a spot identical to what you are saying and we have found that fishing at the head of the hole up in the riffle where you wont snag is very productive, big flatties will move around after dark, so dont feel like you only can fish the drop off, if there is a shallow flat, or a riffle i would try those, flatheads move around alot at night so you would do great fishing upstream...

14. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I agree with the 3 way rig with a lighter line on the sinker. jtrew has a good idea to scrap metal or anything else that will get you to the bottom that is less expensive than burning up your sinkers. Keep fishing that spot trying different ways you will catch some flats out of there i fish a few spots like this and you usually can't get your rig back in unless you hook into a fish. Good luck.

15. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Thanks Pat...I get a good idea every now and then. LOL