Brian

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by racinrodes88, Mar 12, 2009.

1. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    swamprat u r my best friend im glad everything is ok with nathan and yall are back home im sure nathan is glad to be home and i hope he doesnt have to go back to icu or on the chopper ride i worry to much about everything ur my boy brian

2. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    for those of you that havent heard already, my little boy (2yrs old), has asthma kinda bad but it has been almost a year since he's had an attack. well sunday he went with my mama and daddy to florence and when he got back at about 5:00 pm he was wheezing and coughing a little bit. we gave him a breathing treatment and he acted a little better, well a couple of hours later it came back a little worse than the first time, we gave him another treatment. well we went to bed that night and he woke us up screaming we thought he was having a bad dream or something so we turned on the light and he was trying to catch his breath and he was having to heave to even breath a little bit, well we got his inhaler and he used it well about ten minutes went by and it didnt do no good so we took him to the emergency room at about 2:30 monday morning, they gave him two more treatments while we were in there and we were admitted to a room upstairs b/c it wasnt getting any better. well he was supposed to have tubes put back in his ears for the second time on monday morning at 6:00 in florence because of ear infections, needless to say he still dont have his tubes in yet. we stayed in marion in the hospital and they finally put him in ICU to keep a better eye on his breathing cause all the medicine and treatments they were giving him weren't workin. the doctor came in at about 6:00 and said he was running out of cards to play and he wanted to transfer him to another hospital with more options to work with. called McLeod in florence and they didnt have any beds open so the only other two options we had was either in Columbia or MUSC in Charleston, i have family that stays in Mt. Pleasant, only about 15-20 minutes from Charleston when traffic isnt bad and my uncle said he would be there to meet him when he got there. we had two options on transportation, we couldnt take him b/c he was on oxygen and if we waited on an ambulance to pick him up it would take about 6 hrs for him to get to charleston and the other option was being airlifted by helicopter.... well he was bad enough that we chose the helicopter, me and my wife were scared to death because we dont like airplanes you hear of too many crashing, but that was the only thing that might be able to save his life so we went with that. they would let anyone ride with them so we had to drive, they made it there in 40-45 minutes and a usual 2 - 2 1/2 hour ride we made in 1 1/2 hours. he was put in ICU when he got there at about 8:45 and my uncle was there to meet him like he said. he finally got out of ICU on tuesday at about 6:00 pm and was put in a regular room and his breathing treatments were cut back from one 4hrs long to one 2 hrs long and they got cut on back as his breathin got better. they come in the room and took him off his IV this morning and we finally got to go home today at about 3:00 this afternoon. he's doing alot better now and he got sent home with four prescriptions. he lost some weight while in the hospital and is still pretty weak but he will bounce back before too long and be giving us another run for our money around the house soon!:wink: BTW- thank you Bill and Russell for the calls

3. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Glad he is doing well. We will keep him in our prayers.

Steve

4. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Brian i am very sorry to hear about your son,we will have you and your son an family in our prayer. Hope he gets well soon:wink:.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Scary as heck when something like that happen to your child. My prayers are with you. I'm sure everything will be just fine.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Brian I am glad Nathan is better. I was glad to hear it I will call you later. Russell kept me up to date while I was out of town. I hope yall wont have anymore scares like that.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Brian, I hope everything works out well. Glad he is doing better.
    I have breathing problems, and I know very well just how frightening it can be when a person is struggling to breath, and not knowing if the next one will get enough oxygen to remain conscious, and I'm certain it is even more frightening to a young kid and to his parents.

8. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Glad you got him back home doing good. My son has a mild case and I hope we never go through anything like that.

9. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Brian your son is in my thoughts and prayers.

10. 1bluedevil

1bluedevil New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I hope your son continues to get better and stays healthy. I have been there man and I know its the worst feeling when you have a very sick child. You and your family are in our prayers.

11. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Just wanted to let you know how glad I am for you and your wife that your story has a happy ending. I know that must have been miserable. I have never had anything so serious happen to one of my fellas (knock, knock, knock) but just from the scares we have had I can imagine how awful that must have been.

Feel free not to answer, but I was wondering what caused it? What makes an asthmatic child who's been fine for a year suddenly get so bad that he ends up in the ICU and air-lifted to a bigger hospital? Are the doctors pretty sure that this won't repeat?

Well, now that it's over and he's at home and on the mend, he may be able to appreciate what a cool story he's gonna have to tell his friends one day.:0a1: