Breeding Goldfish

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by Eudora, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey all;

I was contemplating putting in a pond in my backyard to raise some baitfish, in particular, goldfish and/or koi. Do any of you have any experience breeding them? Any tips? So far, from what I've read, breeding koi sounds pretty time-consuming and expensive. I may go the goldfish route, if it's easier. Let me know if you have any advice. Thanks.

2. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Not much to goldfish,...throw in a couple of dozen, and let mother nature take over. Just make sure you pond is large enough to support a LOT of goldfish, 2 dozen will yield you several hundred.

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I met an old man in Hong Kong who been doing it since he was 6 years old. His wife died and he did it again as a hobby. He got some special breeds, and knew a lot about gold fish. Some were pretty expensive. Good luck, can't be too hard to let nature do its thing. Right water temp and depth.

4. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Throw 'em in the pond, but when you see eggs close them off from the other goldfish they'll eat the eggs and the fry

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Interesting thread...I think if I was gonna raise bait, I'd go with bullhead or carp. Anybody ever tried either one?

6. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I've thought about carp a time or two. I haven't totally ruled it out, though.

7. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Well I have a 10 gallon aquarium next to my monitor full of fancy tailed Guppy's that are starting to look pretty attractive, bait wise. Grin

Think they are a bit small for big cats though.

I think a lot would depend on your states regulations on transporting/using exotic species.

8. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm not sure what size of pond your talking about. But I have a large koi pond, 15 x 18 x 3 and have both goldfish and koi. I have had both my koi and goldfish spawn, and have raised and sold a few of the fry that survived. They both spawn about the same way and the eggs and fry will need the same care. I have read that koi and goldfish can actually crossbreed. However the crossbreeds are like mules and are sterile. Its very time consuming and a little expensive. The first year I put out spawning mats and raised the fry in a tank. This year I didn't have the time to mess with it and let nature deal with it. I ended up with 7 new goldfish but no koi.

9. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    I got a little coy pond 7' x 32', it ranges 12" to 2'-3' deep. My pump ain't running but the gold fish survive! I added tap water to fill my pond once and wiped out half my gold fish.:sad2: I had 1 spawn that produced bunch of little carp and one goldfish. I keep telling people goldfish are carp!! My gold fish started out 2-3 inches and are 6-8 inches now. My pond runs across the front of the house and under the porch, we enjoy just viewing them and feeding them bread. I don't use them for bait. Gold fish are illegal to use in some places because they are carp and have a high survival rate in any water.