Breeding bluegill or white perch

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by willfishforfood, Aug 7, 2007.

1. willfishforfood

willfishforfood New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    does anyone have any idea how to breed these? i can catch adults but i would like some a bit smaller to use for live bait and some large ones for cut bait but i hate spending half my fishing time trying to catch bait.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ben,
    Just dig a pond, fill it with water and bluegill will appear as if by magic. At least that is how it seems. I think you would find em in an old tire if you left water in it long enough.
    I'm not sure you could successfully breed them in a tank as they need nesting sites but I could be wrong.
    If you have a pond or have access to a private pond you could seed it with the bigger ones you catch (check local laws).
    As for spending your fishing time catching them for bait, again check your local laws. Here in Indiana they have to be caught with rod and line. It is not legal to net bluegills...W

3. willfishforfood

State:
    North Carolina
    i cant dig a pond in my back yard cause im only fourteen, but i have a medium sized stock tank (4x2x2).

4. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Put some gravel and larger rocks in it with some vegetation. Who knows, it might work then the rest of us would be asking you for advice on how to set up a system for our benefit. You never know unless you give it a try.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You'll never get enough in a tank to have bait. You'll go through it in one trip. You could get them to spawn, but in a tank it'll have to be an induced spawn using hormone injections and such so it would be very complicated/expensive. I'd just stick to trying to catch them on hook and line. But that's just me. I've spawned fish in a tank before and it is very difficult at best.

6. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    You try what i did. Theres a nice little creek near my house that had just chubs and shiners. I went to a pond and caught like 30 gills or better and threw them in a little fishin hole i alway's catch bait at in the creek. Now there everywhere down there and it takes little to no time to catch them.

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I would suggest finding a little 1/4-1/2 acre pond that can be seigned and is hopefully spring fed and buy you some Hybrid Bluegill/white perch and stock it up.....Most good people don't mind you doing something like that if you'll take "extra" special care with their pond....Feed a good "floating" catfish feed and growem out to the size you want....Recommended stock rate on 1/4 acre is around 250 Hybrids....Hybrids grow faster and bigger than wild stock....Also, hybrid gills have a low reproduction rate(which is attractive to landowners)...Not that they are sterile, but because hybrid gills are 85-95% male....Hope this helps..Dwight

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ben
    I don't like to be negative but in my experience of keeping fish in tanks a 4x2x2 tank will not do it for you. I believe you best bet would be to find yourself a decent bait pond and just use the tank to keep them in the day or two before you fish...W

9. willfishforfood

State:
    North Carolina
    ok thanks for the info. ill look into those hybrids also.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    At 14, I'm sure that you have some friends that would go fishing with you if you provided cane poles, line, & bait. Or, you could even find some younger guys that would like to go fishing. I've taken a couple of my grandkids out bait fishing, and didn't even have time to put my own line in the water. To catch the smaller ones, try using a #12 long-shanked cricket hook. Circle hooks may work great for eating size 'gills, but I haven't been able to find circle hooks small enough to catch the 2"-4" youngsters. If a 'gill takes the cricket hook deep enough that it's bleeding, don't bother to try to keep it alive; it's gonna die. Either dispose of it, or use it for cut bait.