bream...whole or cut?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by ccat, Jun 24, 2008.

1. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I have a question for anyone that can help.
    I know flathead prefer live shad/bream, but how do you cut up bream for baiting trotlines and jugs? Do I just need to cut them in half, or fillet them and just use the fillets? I have cut them in 3 or 4 pieces using the head, and other "parts". I think I am using too big of a piece of cut bream. I am mainly just catching smaller channels with this method.
    Does the "bigger bait, bigger fish" method used in bass fishing work with catfish? I am sure it does, but just needed some advice on the cutting of the bream and what to use.
    thanks for any help.
    Good luck,
    ccat

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Try different methods on the same line. Don't limit yourself or your expectations.

Put some on the line whole, some cut, some fillets, etc., some with just the heads and guts.

Count how many hooks in a row you bait with what and find out what the fish prefer.

In other words bait five hooks with whole bream, then five with cut bream etc.

Hope this helps .... Good luck.

3. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar

I agree...you should experiment and find what works for you and your locale. I've found that a bait that works for me at Lake Cherrywood may not work for say, Willow Beach.

4. madicat

madicat New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I would do both. But if you cut them I wouldn't use the tail because catfish don't seem to go for just the tail piece alone.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would stick to whole, but the cut bait should work also, if you have a choice, then go whole.

also, I don't think the staff will allow your avatar and they will delete it, I have had 2 deleted so just a heads up

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Chris, when I gave cut bream a try, all I caught were some channel cats. Using shad or skipjack in the same place, I get mostly blues with a few channels. Any size live bream would be good for flatheads, although I've had them hit cut shad occasionally in the spring; small bream is a fairly good bait for blues (still like shad & skipjack best).

7. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    jerry,
    I netted a bunch of shad from lake conway the other day. I can't seem to find any on Beaver or Greers. I am on Greers now. So, the shad I will use tonight will be 3 days old. I froze some, but left some on ice in a cooler. I will set out jugs and a trotline tonight using them. With them being dead, should I cut them or just put them on the jugs whole?
    Where can I get some gizzard shad? I know a lot of yall get them on the Ark. river. Is that about it on where to find them? I am heading back to Fayetteville on Sunday and will take I-40. I might stop in Ozark. Can I net some there? If so, will it be threadfin or gizzard?
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    good luck.
    ccat

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If I remember right, your shad are about 3" long. I suspect that you'll find that the gut pocket is pretty much nothing but mush by now with shad that small. If they're fresh, I'll use them that small, but I don't try to save them. And with shad that small, I almost always use them whole. Run the hook through the eye...completely through the eye, so that only the line is in the eye socket. Then hook the shad somewhere back toward the tail. That works great for fresh shad. If you can't find a solid place to put your hook, forget about running the hook through the eye socket and just hook the shad through the bony part of the head. I'd give some thought to taking a backup bait along. If you don't have any cured chicken liver, salt pork is a good backup bait because it does catch fish (not as many as shad or skipjack), it stays on the hook extremely well, and you can simply refreeze what you don't use. Just be sure to mark any refrozen salt pork as catfish bait only.
    Incidentally, when the river gets down to normal level, about the only place in the Little Rock area I can count on finding shad is below the Conway dam. You can get some with a cast net, but you have to be really careful about the rocks. What works better for me is using my shad dip net. I walk out on the concrete apron and scoop up the shad that are running the edge of the apron. There's enough water leaking through the dam to attract the shad there. But they are right up against the concrete where it's almost impossible to get them with a cast net.

9. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i have found some days they like the head and some days the fillets. some days they won't touch either. never have figured this out. we usually put out a smorgasboard and see whats popular. if your fishing for big fish i would always have at least half my hooks baited with live perch. bite might be slower but it is usually bigger.

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I take big gizard shad about palm size or bigger and cut it strait in half then I put both pieces on the hook.I also have put them on whole and cut down the middle of the body about an half inche below the head.On bream I use the whole thing live first I cut the end of his tail off that way he bleed out and the big fish will see a poor little helpless fish.If the bream dies before you catch anything do it the same way as the shad.I have caught big channel and blues doing this. I hope you catch a bunch of whoppers.

11. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    jesse,
    thanks for the shad info. I wish I could find some big gizzard shad. I will stop in Ozark on my way back home in Fayetteville on Sunday to see if I can net some at the dam.
    I am ready to get back out after those cats, but tonight, my daughter, madicat and I are actually bass fishing after dark. There are Friday night jackpot tournaments here on Greers, and tonight must be a big one, as I have seen boats/trailers pass by all afternoon. So, we won't be putting jugs out to have them messed with, or have the chance of them being "checked."
    But you can bet we'll have jugs out tomorrow night.
    thanks for the help.
    good luck.
    ccat