bream vs shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jamesriverman, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jamesriverman

jamesriverman New Member

State:
    va
    I need a bait tank and i am fishing in a little cannel for blues some times and flatheads some times and i have to drive 20 min to get shad and they are hard to keep do you think i should just use cut brem for blues i do not know is frosen shad or fresh cut brem beter in a cannel for blues

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive caught several large blues and hundreds of small ones on bream.they are my bait of choice if im trying to keep bait alive.if i have them available i perfer cut skipjack for blues but bream work good and are easy to keep alive and fresh is best.

3. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    I use two Plastic 55 gal. barrels. i cut the top out with a ceirculer saw la the barrel on its side. Cut under the top far enough to get all the top . Use the top you cut of for a top turn it over . Fill it up about five or six inches. from the top . Don't put over Fifty bream to one barrel. Put some clorien killer in the water I use the stoughyou get at Wall Mart in the pet dept. Get one of those cheep airiators , They about 15 to 20 dollars. That will keep till you get ready to go fishing , Now you will need a big Ice chest one of those big white 115 + Quarts. Bail the water that the fish is in out and put it in the cooler . Get you a small deep net and deep the bream right out of the barrel and put them in the cooler get you a flotting airiator hook it up to a 12 volt battery , And you are ready to go fishing . But you need one more thing You will need to carry anouther ice chest . Tack ONE GAL. MILK Jugs fill them with water have them frozen befour you go out .IF the fish start to .to swimming around in the cooler with there noses sticking out of the water put one of these frozen jugs of ice in the cooler with the fish. They will keep a long time . I have keep bream up to three to four weeks like this . DON'T TRY TO FEED THEM . They will eat each other as they die.
    Good Luck " FLATHEAD ON THE RED "

4. jamesriverman

jamesriverman New Member

State:
    va
    i am a fish keeper and i only keep wild fish and i know all about it the probe is more getting them home for shad.

this is how i do it go to the home and garden center or craigslist and post a wanted ad and get a big 300 gal metal tub paint it blue and get 5 power heads place them on the in side hanging on the side and a 500 gal canister filter bubbler for 500 gal and put blue food coler in the water and run it for a month and i keep 300 blue gill or 150 shad.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i catch a lot of blues on cut carp in addition to live perch. they seem to love a big slimy piece of carp where i fish.