Bream traps legal in Ohio???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by kory, Sep 4, 2007.

1. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
  2. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    As far as I know, it's not legal. Regs state that minnow traps can only have a hole of 1/2 inch in diameter. It's actually illegal to even be in posession of a modified trap ( hole bigger than 1/2 inch ). I called odnr in regaurds to this issue a few weeks ago b/c I was going to do the same thing you're doing. You may be able to get around this with a commercial license but I never looked into it. By the way, is this why my old bullhead holes aren't producing anymore?:wink:

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i made a few of those to use in private ponds to get bait, state laws do not apply there. i dont see how they could legally cite you for "possessing" one if its used in private ponds. btw, just in case i am asked they are "crawfish traps":wink:

4. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yea, Mike, Crawfish trap, They'll buy that.
    I thought the hole could be 1", am I looking at the wrong Reg?

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would like to think you are right, but might wanna check. private is private and might be different for fishing regulations. but consider the laws for hunting.. just cause it is private land still restricts you of certain rights under the law. im gonna check on this one, cause i would like to know myself.. lol rollo

6. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Correction, 1 inch hole is legal ( thanks, Jerry ). More than that isn't. Making it illegal to posess is the catch-all. Also can't be larger than 24" long and 12" in width total trap size.