Bream or bluegills for bait!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Oct 14, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    In my state I can use bream for bait. I am really thinking about trying some small bream for bait. I see lots of the little ones at the edge of the river. I am going to take my ul rig the next time I go catfishing.

2. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i think you'll really like the results. I use alot of em for bait. some 1.5 inchers on my small poles, n up to almost hand size on my big poles. good luck.

3. Fishkrazy

Fishkrazy New Member

CF.jpg

I caught this guy using bream as cutbait

4. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Some of my best fish have come from bream. If they are in the water that your fishing you can't go wrong. You may not get as many hits as other baits, but the bites that you get will usually be from larger fish.

5. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I don't think I will fish with to much other baits since getting fish on live bluegill. If I am going to get out in the cold, it has to be a good fish that bites, so I eliminate all the little ones by using live bait.

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice fish! What did he weigh?

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    The big cats will bite bream when nothing else works:006:

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Bream Cut Or Live Work Well.

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Bluegill are my favorite, especially live. They also work well when used as cut bait.

10. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Are Bream like Sunfish??????

11. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    yeah they are a species of sunfish like bluegill, in fact there is little diffrence between the two.

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    In the South, bream is a generic name for sunfish. At least where I've fished, you say bream and everybody understands.

13. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    never had much luck or used it much for that matter...

14. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Bream is always a good bait no matter what time of the year. It is naturally the most abundant food source for cats next to shad and other small baitfish. The advantages of using bream especially live is that they stay alive and stay lively on the hook and if you dont catch anything you can release them with little harm done to the fish. Any kind of bream will work I've used regular bluegill to green sunfish and see results with all of them. Especially in the colder times of the year when stinkbaits are slow to attract cats live bream will send distress signals and lure cats because catfish like other fish have a lateral line that detects vibrations in the water and when they pick up on an injured fish they are fast to bite. This weekend I used all live bream and caught the fish on my avatar and if you look at another post in general catfishing you can see that I caught both white and channel cats on live bream. Not only small bream will work I've seen results with bream as big as my hand and let me tell you if big cats are in your area big bait is the trick catfish want a meal not a snack. Flathead, blues, channels, whites, and I have even heard that bullhead hit live bait. This time of year live bait is key to catching fish so I suggest that next time you go out catch a bucket of bream and rig em on a Kahle hook right behind the dorsal fin before the tail (this keeps them lively and if you dont catch any you can release them) if you don't catch a cat then hes just not in that spot. Hope this helps I never pass up a chance to use live bream as bait.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    you can't go wrong with bream, just don't limit yourself to small ones, big bait catches big fish. It aint even fall yet down there is it? Whatever else you can catch and is legal for bait use it also.