Bream frustration

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by georgiamike, Sep 11, 2006.

1. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    This weekend I tired chicken liver for the first time. I wrapped them up in little balls inside of panty hose. I was fishing at lake lewisvile, tx on the fishing barge and all i could get to bite were brim (perch, sunfish) whatever you call em, oh yeah and caught one drum also. So now I have two questions. I was dropping it straight down and then reeling up just enough to tighten my line. Tried throwing it out and letting it sit on the bottom but too many snags on the bottom.

1. How big do you make the lil balls you put in the hose? (dont want my balls to be too big) ha ha

2. How do you keep it away from the brim.?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois

use those gill for bait. If you're fishing for flat heads use the blue gill whole. If you're fishing for channels, cut the blue gill and us it that way.

I am wondering what size of hooks you are using to be catching blue gill while catfishing?

3. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was using a #1 size hook, just got lucky to catch one blue gill but pretty sure that is was it was, as soon as the bait hit the bottom i would get constant bites but very slight.... could be wrong but pretty sure it was the gills or maybe...?

4. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois

how shallow was the water and what time of day were you fishing?

5. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    i tried several spots on the barge, range from 16 to 24 feet, i caught some buffalo there a couple weeks back, maybe that is what was a nibblin

6. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    best thing i can suggest is to catch some blue gill and cut them up or use them whole. Or maybe net some shad and use them. Shad are really good for about any catfish depending on you presentation. If i ever have problems with worms or liver getting nibbled on by gills then it is usually time to use a different bait or try a different spot.

good luck

7. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Where do you live? I live in Keller, about 30 minutes south of Lewisville Lake. Maybe we can get together sometime.

As for the barge,are yo fish from the one one off highway 35 at exit 407? I like fishing there, its a nice place but I almost never catch any catfish. Caught plenty of crappie though.

8. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am not sure what exit it is off of because i take 121buisiness to get there but i think there is only one. I have seen people catching quite a few catfish there, we also catch alot of crappie (usually 9 3/4 inches) also catch some bass and buffalo. I take the kids 9 and 13 almost every saturday and really enjoy it there, but want to catch some catfish as the whole family loves the taste. Let me know and we can meet there sometime. Do you have kids?

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If there are too many snags on the bottom where you fish, try useing a 3 way swivel. Tie on a short line (maybe a foot) on one side, and a longer line (about 2 feet) on the other side with a sinker. You can use lighter line with the sinker so if it gets snagged it will break off more easily. That will keep your hook off the bottom. Cast away from the barge from which you are fishing to get away from the perch. Also use a 5/0 kahle hook because a catfish 1# or more can easily fit it in their mouth, and a perch can't. Liver as bait is over rated. It's cheap and readily available but that's about it. It's not usually worth the mess. Cut up perch or raw shrimp work great without the hassle.

10. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Mike and Jerod, we are going down to Lake Mexia the last weekend in September and I know the cats are good size down there. Even if you don't stay the night, just come fishing with the kids and have some fun fishing.

AL

11. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yeah thats the barge Ive fished at. I take 114 to 121 to 35 then down to 407(justin) exit.

As far as kids, no I dont, im still a kid myself,well I like to believe that, im 24 :lol:

Ive probably fished that barge 30 times. I always take 2-3 rods, usually 2 for catfish and 1 for crappie. I can count on 1 hand the number of catfish ive caught, but the number of crappie is amazingly high. I did see a younger guy, catch a 14 # bluecat on some garlic doughbait he was using for carp though.

Next time I go up that way ill see if we can get something together. Ive really been afraid to try it since Lewisville is down like 10 foot. Caught some nice fish from our boat though, too many to count in the 2-6# range and a few in the 10-15 range with (1) 20#er.

Also if you are interested in a guide, ask at the barge for "Mike". He is an execellent guide, and will go out of his way to catch you fish. We took 2 trips with him, one on easter, the other in early december. Easter trip we caught 60 cats between 2-7# and then Winter trip we caught 23 that were 4-15#.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would try using, a bigger hook.

13. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ok so i went to the barge again on saturday, caught 5 buffalo, 0 cats, using liver, worms, dough bait. The only cats i saw caught were small ones. Maybe the barge is just no good for cats right now. Think i am gonna get some fresh shad and give em a try next. I would love to take a trip with a guide, as soon as I can scrap enough $ together, would have to be a kid friendly guide cuz there is no way my kids would let me go without them.